Adding objects in a batch

Discussion forum for contributors and developers who are using the QCAD version 3 ECMAScript development platform or the C++ plugin interface or who are otherwise looking to contribute to QCAD (translations, documentation, etc).

Moderator: andrew

Adding objects in a batch

Postby hungerburg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:03 pm

In my scripts I add objects one primitive by one primitive. They execute quite fast. Still I want to ask:

For performance reasons, can one join several RAddObject Operations into one RAddObjects Operation? When I switch layers inbetween those, will the entities end up in the right ones then? Or does qcad optimze already?
hungerburg

Postby andrew » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Yes, you can add multiple objects in one transaction. Setting the current to a different takes effect immediately and is not part of the transaction (i.e. changing the current layer cannot be undone).
andrew
Site Admin

Postby hungerburg » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Seems I am a little confused by RAddObjectsOperation and RAddObjectOperation. In fact I only use the first plural one and never the second singular one.

These operations I call from helper functions, that draw geometric primitives, that create both operation and objects internally only.

Code: Select all
   var operation = new RAddObjectsOperation(false);
   var linie = new RLineData(linien[l][0], linien[l][1]);
   var entity = new RLineEntity(zeichnung.document, linie);
   operation.addObject(entity);
   zeichnung.documentInterface.applyOperation(operation);

If instead I kept on adding objects to the operation, and applied it only later, then would all objects end up in the same layer? Or in the layer, that was active, at the time they were added to the operation? Could it be about useCurrentAttributes?

I know it is trivial to find out myself, but I am lazy right now, please excuse the many words too, but maybe its interesting for others too. It may prove a performance benefit, especially when the script runs in the GUI.
hungerburg

Postby andrew » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:41 pm

hungerburg wrote:If instead I kept on adding objects to the operation, and applied it only later, then would all objects end up in the same layer? Or in the layer, that was active, at the time they were added to the operation? Could it be about useCurrentAttributes?

To the layer that was the current layer when the object was added if 'useCurrentAttributes' is true (default) or to the layer explicitly set on the entity (setLayer(...)) if 'useCurrentAttributes' is false.
andrew
Site Admin

Postby hungerburg » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Thank You Andrew, with this information I started to refactor. I nearly gave in, as everything would end up in the same layer. But now it works :)

Code: Select all
var operation = new RAddObjectsOperation(false); // not undo-able
document.setCurrentLayer("A");
// […] create some entity
operation.addObject(entity, false); // stick it to current layer
document.setCurrentLayer("B");
// […] add some more objects to the operation
operation.addObject(entity, false); // stick it to current layer
// […] add some more objects to the operation
documentInterface.applyOperation(operation);

The useCurrentAttributes flag works like this:
    false: use attributes current at the time of the "add"
    true: use attributes current at the time of the "apply"

The performance gain is not noticeable though in command line mode or in linux GUI. I will see in windows GUI, because that is a little sluggish, when running scripts, compared to the linux one. Maybe that is only the grafics card though…
hungerburg

Return to QCAD 3 Developers and Contributors