Speed Under Linux

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jamesarbrown

Speed Under Linux

Post by jamesarbrown » Fri May 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi,

Still working with RC5, but finding its a bit slow, you click a tool, 1....2... redraw... click a tool, 1..2 redraw.

Its running under Gnome3 on Fedora which is uses video acceleration, so wondering if something to do with that. Is there anyway you can think that it can be sped up.... asside raw processor power?!

It should be ok
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6670 @ 2.20GHz

James

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Speed Under Linux

Post by andrew » Fri May 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Did you use a utility to display the CPU usage while running QCAD 3 RC5 (e.g. top in a terminal)? The CPU might not be the issue at all.

[Edit: is this delay only noticeable when a tool is used for the first time after starting QCAD or also when using it again?]

jamesarbrown

Post by jamesarbrown » Sat May 26, 2012 9:09 am

Hi Andrew,

Yes I think you are right, I can see it peaking sometimes and rarely up at 50%, but generally for woking around 10-20%, 4% memory.

So was looking a bit further and think its the video rendering. Today the machine (being my laptop and undocked) at 1366x768 res seems to be better than when its plugged to external VGA (1920 res). It especially noticable when you select edit text (ie a large redraw), I have typed 3 4 chars before the box even can appear and misses those chars.

Click the edit tool today and I can count to 2sec before the new toolbar is there.

Messed around with Libre office and thats quick, so do not think its machine. Video acceleration is working fine, glxgears etc.

Its not a big deal, but it does seem less responsive than Qcad2.2, you have to set your mind to pause between each click and generally feels less productive.

James

Switch away from QCAD > Another App > QCAD > choose Edit tool = 6sec
Stay in Qcad choose edit tool =- 2-3sec, backup, select Edit tool again and its still 2-3 sec.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat May 26, 2012 1:46 pm

It could also be related to disk access. QCAD 3 reads a lot more information from disk at run time (script files, icons, user interface definitions). Though after using a tool once, these things are cached and it should be just as snappy as QCAD 2.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”