[SOLVED] Snap Options Question

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

dcbdbis

[SOLVED] Snap Options Question

Post by dcbdbis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:06 pm

When working on a drawing that has become dense, the auto snap tool is causing me some problems. I am a recent porter from AutoCAD Lt.
On other cad packages that QCad has replaced, I could tell snap to be specific: "Intersection" "geometry", "grid", etc. This then aided dense drawings and saved me the step of overzooming to get the thing right. And then the slected zoom mode stayed selected until I turned it back to auto, or selected another mode. This isn;t happening in QCad, so I suspect I'm going about it the wrong way.

In QCad, I have the following anomalies that aren't documented in the manual:

a) How to turn off "auto" and specifiy a specific snap mode that remains in effect until I specify otherwise....

Here's what happens:

I select a specific snap mode I want, then click the line tool, the snap mode I've selected gets deselected and the auto snap mode comes back on with the issues as explained above. I do not get the specific snap mode I want.

If I select the linetool, click it's starting point, then turn on the specific snap mode I want, the line dissappears and never gets drawn at all.

If I select the line tool, then select the snap mode, again the line tool dissappears and no drawing tool is selected with the mouse.

I am using QCad 3 Pro (just bought it a couple of days ago, and I do like the general MO of this product). I draw electrical circuits for construction ( and have for 30+ years) and QCAd is perfect for this purpose.

Google, User guide, forum search have turned up nothing (unless I'm searching for the wrong terms).... Can someone please enlighten me? I sure would appreciate it!

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Dave
Last edited by dcbdbis on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Clive

Re: Snap Options Question

Post by Clive » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi dcbdbis and welcome.
Try this and see if it helps, go to Main Menu > Application Preferences > Graphics View and 'check' Persistent Selection - this should keep your selections 'persistent' including all tool selections and snaps until you either 'double right click' or click on the 'Reset/Idle icon' (top left hand corner arrow icon) or enter QQ in the command line.
*Note with Persistent Selection activated you will need to use the 'Selection Tools' ( keycode - WS) tools to de-select (Deselct All - keycode TN) your highlighted 'selected' entities!
I hope this makes sense to you, I`m sure you`ll soon pick it up, most of the time you won`t need to activate persistent selection - but sometimes it`s useful.
Attachments
Persistent Selection.png
Persistent Selection.png (121.99 KiB) Viewed 8274 times

dcbdbis

Post by dcbdbis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Outstanding!

And thank you for the suggestions. You see I was looking for the snap setting in the wrong place. I already use qq, so it is not an issue. In fact, I really like the keyboard shortcuts and find them easier to remember than AutoCAD.

I appreciate the heads up, knew it was something I was not doing right.

And cudo's on this package, and thanks......The "mainstream" cad packages are all about 3d.....and for those of us in construction needing only 2d (like wiring)...the bigger packages are expensive, and actually hurt productivity forcing them to do 2d.

I am looking forward to recapturing my productivity with QCad.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

dcbdbis

Post by dcbdbis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm afraid I had to unmark this thread as unsolved. In practice, this selction only makes matters worse. It seems to affect selected items on the drawing. And whole the selection sticks when selecting a snap mode. It still doesn't follow through as previously noted. In fact, the UI becomes unresponsive in this situation. The software does NOT crash though, but the ability to click other snap modes and lines seems frozen.

A close, restart, and then unselecting the "Persistent" checkbox as suggested, does restore normal operations.

In QCaD, should I select the entities I'm about to draw a line between first?

Or other suggestion?

Thanks!

Dave

dcbdbis

Re: [SOLVED] Snap Options Question

Post by dcbdbis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:25 pm

Symantic issues on my part.

When I select the "entities" snap mode.....It sticks like I suspected it should. Drawing a line works exactly like I want it to. In my previous CAD package, "Intersection" was the term that worked for me when I wanted it to snap to an intersection where the existing and new lines meet.
[edit]: This is with persistence in the previously submitted dialog box turned off, unchecked, which is the default....

Lets call this one a total learning curve on my part.

Thank you!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Clive

Re: [SOLVED] Snap Options Question

Post by Clive » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:29 am

Dave, as you say its just a learning curve! For me I also came the AutoCAD route and am familiar with LT version, and I have to say it`s a pretty smooth learning curve.Once you`ve got your head around how things are done in QCAD - well, it just becomes sweeter :wink:
For the type of work you do - schematics and the like, you`ll find it ideal.
Have fun Dave.
Regards

Clive

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”