Spelling...

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

dcbdbis

Spelling...

Post by dcbdbis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:43 am

I'm not seeing a spell checker in the software. As I am new to QCad, I may be missing something.

If there is not a spell checker, then I'll write my text in a word proc, spell check it, then paste it into QCad's t,e, edit box.

Just asking for validation or a pointer to a plugin if one exists.

Thanks!

Dave................

Clive

Re: Spelling...

Post by Clive » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:35 am

Hi Dave
Correct - there is no spell checker built into QCAD, using an external program like word, Open office etc. - I think is the best solution for this. I would imagine this is how most folks do this. To have a 'plugin' for a spell checker would be useful I suppose but how many languages would you cover? good idea though 8) .
Dave you can add feature requests here:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/

* Note - I have used Word a few times for this type of thing - but what I noticed is that if you copy a whole paragraph from the 'word' document it tends to 'copy' into QCAD's edit box as a single line, so further editing is needed in QCAD! (unless I`m also missing something here :roll: )

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:42 am

@clive
clive wrote:* Note - I have used Word a few times for this type of thing - but what I noticed is that if you copy a whole paragraph from the 'word' document it tends to 'copy' into QCAD's edit box as a single line, so further editing is needed in QCAD! (unless I`m also missing something here :roll: )
Word is evil overloaded with formatting features - hard to handle that in other applications. In this case it seems to me that you just have to make sure that you close each line (in Word) with a "return" - before you copy the text to QCAD.
If you have a Spell checker which works also in Plain editor programs it is much easier to handle the formatting ...

Back to the question or maybe a work around solution: You can find Spell Checker in the Internet which are working for all windows programs. Use a Internet Search engine and try to find something like "Spell Check Anywhere" or " Spell checker for all Programs" etc ....

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:05 am

Great - thanks Husky for the tips :D
Mostly I don`t need to add large amount of text to my QCAD drawings, but this is very useful to know - thanks again :wink:

dcbdbis

Post by dcbdbis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks to all for the tips.....

I'm on x64 Linux though.... Arch Linux to be specific.

So I'll be using a spelling enabled editor that includes EOL/NL info unlike Word, or LibreOffice for that matter....GEdit is spelling enabled, and I'll be using it as spell checker, copies EOL/NL when copied, and then the QCad editor repects it, so I don't have to do a bunch of reformatting. Then when the plain text with EOL/NL data is pasted into QCad's editor from GEdit...the formatting options that are set in the QCad editor such as font, bold, or italic.....is then applied to the pasted text.

It's a pretty clean solution outside of a native spell checker from within QCad.

BTW: When I'm assembling a Bill of Materials/Cut Sheets for a project from a mfg's web page, I can copy the relavent data for a BOM, paste it into GEdit, the HTML formatting tags are all stripped off, formatting fixed, then recopied from GEdit into QCad's editor box and I'm Golden.

Once Again, thank you to all who posted......

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

iOne iTwo

Post by iOne iTwo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:50 am

The reason to build something into QCad: there may be hundreds of small text fields in a given drawing. Labels, small bits of instruction.
Copying to a spell checking website or tool is fine for one big wall of text, not so great for every little bit.
And because QCad "font" sizes don't match word processor font sizes, copying corrected text back would probably go poorly.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:14 am

iOne iTwo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:50 am
The reason to build something into QCad: there may be hundreds of small text fields in a given drawing. Labels, small bits of instruction.
Copying to a spell checking website or tool is fine for one big wall of text, not so great for every little bit.
Please refer to: https://qcad.org/bugtracker/index.php?d ... sk_id=2501
iOne iTwo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:50 am
And because QCad "font" sizes don't match word processor font sizes, copying corrected text back would probably go poorly.
A word processor is not a neat solution concerning text formats. (What was already mentioned above)
Rather, use a text editor that supports spelling, a custom word library or vocabulary is a handy option.
In technical documents you can get unexpected results.
Mostly the text does not consist of complete sentences, the context depends on the technical field, words can have different meanings or are rather uncommon to be supported by any spell-checker.
Or better yet, don't misspell it.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”