Library elements created on 2.2.2 not opening on version 3

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

bluequad

Library elements created on 2.2.2 not opening on version 3

Post by bluequad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi.

Just purchased version 3, running on PC with Windows 7.

Library components created in the previous version have been copied into the default section of the 'Library' file of version 3 and synchronized. The library parts appear in the browser window, but only some of them can be opened into the drawing space. The ones that will not open show a command line :" Trying to modify entities on a locked or invisible layer". However all the library components were created at the same time and saved individually. They all work on the previous version of QCAD.

Some components when placed in the drawing screen don't appear at all, without the above message.

Also, is there a way of slowing down the scale when zooming in and out of the screen. it is so quick that the 00 point is always lost.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Library elements created on 2.2.2 not opening on version

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 pm

bluequad wrote:The ones that will not open show a command line :" Trying to modify entities on a locked or invisible layer". However all the library components were created at the same time and saved individually. They all work on the previous version of QCAD.
Could it be that some library items have locked layers in them?
When inserting a part from the library in QCAD 3, you can choose to overwrite existing layers in your drawing with layers from the item. If a layer in the item is locked, I can imagine that this warning would appear (I haven't tried it yet though).
If you cannot solve it, please send me an example item that has this problem.
Some components when placed in the drawing screen don't appear at all, without the above message.
Please e-mail or attach an item with that problem for testing, thanks.
Also, is there a way of slowing down the scale when zooming in and out of the screen. it is so quick that the 00 point is always lost.
What device are you using to zoom in out (touch pad, scroll wheel, key board, ...)?

bluequad

Post by bluequad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi Andrew

I don't seem able to send a sample of the drawing which won't open, but it is one of several simple elements created on a single layer which is not locked in Version 2.2.2.

They are window,components and sanitary plans and elevations. Some open others don't, within the same file. I am at a loss to know what to do. These may be simple line drawings but took a long time to create with all the curves etc.

The auto zoom function in 2.2.2 returned the 0.0 cross hairs to the centre of the screen without and drawings uploaded. Version 3 does not appear to do this.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Did you check if you have read permission on these files?

Unfortunately, without any drawing files to test, I am unable to help effectively.
Perhaps you can send a file you are unable to insert by e-mail to info [at] ribbonsoft [dot] com.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi
Does it make any difference if you 'right-click' the QCAD 3 library folder and check all the permissions?
Right click and in the security tab edit the permissions.

bluequad

Post by bluequad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Andrew

I have e mailed you some of the files which won't open in version 3. The bath plan was created along with others which do open!

Regards

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks for the files.

The problem with all three files is the block structure of the files:
- When a library item (e.g. 'Bath plan.dxf') is inserted in QCAD 3, QCAD 3 creates a new block called 'Bath plan' with the contents of the file.
- The file 'Bath plan.dxf' contains a block called 'Bath plan' and one block reference to that block.
- QCAD 3 creates a block called 'Bath plan', copies the reference to 'Bath plan' into it and thereby creates a recursion and rolls back the transaction.

QCAD 2 had a slightly different block naming approach which works for these three files.

The general solution is to never have a block in a library item with the same name as the file name.
The recommendation is to not use any blocks inside part library item drawings unless it's necessary or makes sense structure wise. The user usually does not expect to have many blocks more after inserting one single item.

bluequad

Post by bluequad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks for that Andrew.

Is there any way of correcting the anomaly so that these files will open in V3? I did try opening the drawings from file, which works and then over writing the original file, but that doesn't seem to enable the library item to be retrieved in every case. Or maybe explode the component and re save?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:35 pm

The quickest way I can think of is:
- Load file
- Select all
- Modify - Explode
- Delete block definition from block list
- Save

bluequad

Post by bluequad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Andrew

I have just done as you suggest and the file has disappeared now from the library browser, although it still exists in the programme files. I have synchronised the browser with the library.

When you say delete block definition, is that all the information in the block list?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:06 pm

bluequad wrote:When you say delete block definition, is that all the information in the block list?
Here's a more detailed attempt to explain the necessary steps:
- Load the file that causes problems in QCAD like any other drawing using the menu 'File' - 'Open'. For example load the file called 'Bath plan.dxf'.
- Choose menu 'Select' - 'Select all'.
- Choose menu 'Modify' - 'Explode'.
- In the block list, you can now see four blocks: '*Model_Space', '*Paper_Space', '*Paper_Space0' and 'Bath Plan'.
- Click with the left mouse button on the list entry that is labeled 'Bath Plan'.
- Click the button with a minus (-) on it, located at the top of the block list. This deletes the block definition of block 'Bath Plan' from the drawing. This is the block that caused the recursion problem.
- Use the menu 'File' - 'Save' to save the file.
- Use the menu 'File' - 'Close' to close the file.

If the file disappears from the list, it is not readable. If is appears as blank, it is empty.

bluequad

Post by bluequad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Andrew

I would like to thank you for your help here. I worked out that by turning off the visibility of the various blocks, but leaving the file which removes the actual drawing, it is possible to identify which blocks to remove. I have now tried this on a couple of files and it appears to work. I will have to reload those files I have accidentally made unreadable.

The new version is nice to use and I am slowly finding the differences. The most welcome feature, of course, is the ability to import jpegs and bitmaps which were deleted from 2.2.2, so I can again show my company logo.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Keith Mills

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 pm

You're welcome. I'm glad you could work it out!

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”