Polyline Back to a Spline?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

wildspidee

Polyline Back to a Spline?

Post by wildspidee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 pm

I doubt this is possible, but is there any way to turn a polyline back into a spline after you've exploded it? It's nearly impossible to adjust a polyline with so many points.

I saw the post for the new feature of Polyline>Simplify and that would definitely help, but a spline would be better in my case.

Thank you.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Polyline Back to a Spline?

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Generally not.

Best practice is to keep the original splines on a separate (if desired hidden) layer and the exploded spline (i.e. polyline) you are working with on another layer.

If you draw a spline based on fit points with the fit points on some of the polyline vertices, you should be able to create a spline that is pretty close to the original spline without too much effort.

wildspidee

Post by wildspidee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Your layer solution would be the best. I'll duplicate the spline before exploding, just in case future modifications are necessary.

I think the Polyline>Simplify will be nice, too, when it's available.

Thank you Andrew.

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:58 pm

wildspidee wrote:I think the Polyline>Simplify will be nice, too, when it's available.
This is available in the latest 'Snapshot' releases - worth a look when you`ve got a minute :wink:

These are developmental releases though being tested out here, so it is worth running them 'side by side' your current version. If you're interested to test them out they are available from your download area.

wildspidee

Post by wildspidee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 pm

I'd love to help with your beta, but that might be dangerous. I still make some bad choices and mistakes and I wouldn't know if it's me or the program.

I ask too many questions as it is. You guys have been great.

Maybe I'll get the nightly and JUST test the Simplify. That would probably be safe.

Thanks, Clive.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”