[solved] QCad 64bit

Post your question about installing or upgrading QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Post one question per topic.

sailorxyz
Registered Member

[solved] QCad 64bit

Post by sailorxyz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:13 am

Hi Andrew,

Are there any plans to introduce a native 64bit version of QCad? 64bit is becomming ever more the norm, even for windows 64bit is the recomended version. I mostly use debain and I am having considerable diifficulty in getting QCad to work on my 64bit Wheasy installation (Crunchbang Waldorf). The main problem appears to be the openGL libs. nVidia in stalls the libs in /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib and I've no idea where QCad exspects to find them or how to point QCad to where they are. Lastly, is there a list of dependancy's available?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: QCad 64bit

Post by andrew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 am

Installation on 64bit Linux systems requires 32bit libraries, which can usually be installed with one or two commands:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/qcad-installation#linux

QCAD depends on various libraries underneath to provide core functionality. Not all of these can be compiled or run stable as 64bit versions. Contrary to popular belief, 64bit does not bring any significant advantage in terms of performance which makes this potential rather large effort on my side merely a nuance for most end users.

Having said that, as soon as 64bit becomes simply a question of recompiling sources, there will be nothing in the way of a 64bit QCAD release.

hungerburg
Premier Member

Re: QCad 64bit

Post by hungerburg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:37 am

It's true, that 64bit by itself would not bring much, if any, advantage for running qcad. Possibly, speed might increase, because 64bit cpus have doubled the count of registers and can better optimize. The user's pain mostly stems from the way the 32bit userland on some linux distributions is difficult to manage, eg. ubuntu 12.04. BTW qcad does not depend on any library, that is not available as both 32 and 64 bit.

Return to “QCAD Installation and Upgrades”