QCAD Text Compatibility [solved]

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

dodaykos
Newbie Member

QCAD Text Compatibility [solved]

Post by dodaykos » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Hello! I am currently running both QCAD 3.1.6.0 and an earlier 2.1.6.4 on Windows XP. I'm under the process of converting over to QCAD 3, but I came across a problem:

If I were to open the QCAD 2 .dxf files with Autodesk 2008, then the lined text comes out fine. However, if I were to create multi-lined text in QCAD 3 and open it in Autodesk, the text after the first line would not show up (The QCAD 2 text that was left untouched works just fine, though). Is there any way to resolve this issue? I looked into the text source code, and it seems as though the next line is recognized as "\p" in QCAD 3, but with "\P" in QCAD 2, but I am not sure if this issue is important.

Also, is there any way I could make the dashed line style to match for both versions? It's not important, but it does irk me that the dash linetype style doesn't match between the two.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Clive

Re: QCAD Text Compatibility

Post by Clive » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:28 pm

dodaykos wrote:If I were to open the QCAD 2 .dxf files with Autodesk 2008, then the lined text comes out fine. However, if I were to create multi-lined text in QCAD 3 and open it in Autodesk, the text after the first line would not show up (The QCAD 2 text that was left untouched works just fine, though).
Does it make any difference if you save the QCAD 3 multi-lined text in an older file format ?
dodaykos wrote:Also, is there any way I could make the dashed line style to match for both versions? It's not important, but it does irk me that the dash linetype style doesn't match between the two.
In what way does it differ ?

dodaykos
Newbie Member

Post by dodaykos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:47 pm

I attempted to save in all the available .dxf formats (R27, R24, R21, R18, R15, R14, R12) and all of them but the R12 formatted files still showed all of the text but failed to keep them on separate lines, as seen in the attachment. If I were to capitalize the "p" in QCAD 2, then it would allow the text to fall on the next line. With the R12 format, the text format matched but only the first line remained.

Also, I have compared the dashed line style between the two in the same screenshot. It seems as though the line spacing and line length is different for the same layer linestyles.

Edit: Simplified the screenshot and uploaded a screenshot from AutoCAD. Still perplexed about the issue...
Attachments
NewScreenshot.png
Comparison of QCAD 2 and QCAD 3 text in R21 file formats.
NewScreenshot.png (309.13 KiB) Viewed 9496 times
AutodeskSS.PNG
R21 file formatted text opened in AutoCAD 2008
AutodeskSS.PNG (6.83 KiB) Viewed 9496 times

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:08 am

Thank you so much for your effort and feedback here.
Well for me I have tested the dash line styles between QCAD 2.2.2 and QCAD 3.1.6 and too be honest on my system (Windows 7-64) both seemed the same...and I did test differing line lengths etc! So I'm not sure about this one.
As for testing in AutoCAD, well I've only got AutoCAD 2012 and my test case all was okay. I used 'Multiline' text and the three Dash line styles in QCAD 3 and as I say everything was fine in AC 2012. So this may be something for Andrew to investigate further and give us some answers.

*Please note, the dash lines in reality are the same size/spacing - but in my screeshots they look different because of zooming etc...but you can also see that the text came out fine too.

In QCAD
In QCAD Pro 3.1.6.png
In QCAD Pro 3.1.6.png (13.66 KiB) Viewed 9391 times
In AutoCAD
In AutoCAD 2012.png
In AutoCAD 2012.png (22.3 KiB) Viewed 9391 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:06 pm

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:28 pm

This issue should be solved in the latest QCAD release (3.2.0).

If you have drawings with mixed line feeds ('\P' and '\p'), you may want to use the tool 'Edit' - 'Find/Replace' to replace all occurrences of '\p' with '\P' (without quotation marks).

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”