segmentation fault for qcad 3.0 prof [solved]

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

hungerburg
Premier Member

Re: segmentation fault for qcad 3.0 prof [solved]

Post by hungerburg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:04 pm

@ cmcgrath5035 - Just another user here: there are some good reasons to upgrade to 3.2, eg. native x64 binary. If I understood correctly, a solution to your problem would be to get the two library modules mentioned above, "libgcc_s.so.1" and "libstdc++.so.6", and put them inside the qcad-3.0 directory.

cmcgrath5035

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.
I moved a copy of the 32 bit versions of both to the qcad 3.0.0 directory,but it does not correct the issue.
I'll dig a bit more over the weekend.

hungerburg
Premier Member

Post by hungerburg » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:43 am

I don't have a 32 bit qcad anymore, 64bit version was enough reason for me to pay for the upgrade. When diagnosing library problems, "ldd" is your friend. Eg if your qcad binary is installed in "/opt/qcad" you may issue this command and it will tell you, which library modules would be linked into the executable image, when the operating system tries to run the application:

Code: Select all

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/qcad ldd /opt/qcad/qcad-bin
PS: if you move libary modules, note that they are often symbolic links, and to move the real file…

cmcgrath5035

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks for the 'ldd' suggestion., extremely helpful.
The bad news is that ldd reports no missing libraries, so I suspect one of the bundled libraries (the libQTs) has become incompatible with openSUSE 12.3 after the recent update.
I'll pursue that path for a bit

cmcgrath5035

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:06 pm

An update for anyone who might stumble upon this thread.
I installed a VirtBox VM for openSUSE 12.3 (_64) from the dvd download and confirmed that qcad Pro 3.0.0 runs with that version.
I also find that "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ldd ./qcad-bin" on both the VM and my current (updated) 12.3 system yields identical results.
I'll continue to conclude that the SegFault is being caused by an incompatible point release on one of the system libraries, but I don't think it is either of the libraries Andrew identified, "libgcc_s.so.1" and "libstdc++.so.6", since their versions have not recently(past two months +) changed.
For me, an update on Aug 7 created the problem, I had previously updated on July 9 and all was OK.

As hungerburg points out, many of the libraries are symbolic links to point releases.

I may pursue further, but for now know that I can access my CAD files via the VM if necessary.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks for all the information. It might be worth checking out the latest trial / free version (3.2.1) to see if the problem is only with 3.0.0:
http://qcad.org/en/qcad-downloads-trial

cmcgrath5035

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:48 am

OK, the good news - Qcad 3.2.1 (Trial Version) seems fine on my updated system.
Starts, loads a complex dxf developed over the past year.

I can report no useful progress on resolving why 3.0.0 will not run on openSUSE after recent updates (12.3 64 bit)
I dug thru all the libraries identified by 'ldd', it appeared that a recent update of the MESA libraries were the cause,
I tried backing Mesa down one release but no change in SegFault.
It must be something that does not appear in the dependencies.
I have now observed the "update breaks it" on two machines - intel/intel graphics laptop and an amd/ati graphics desktop.

cmcgrath5035

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:13 pm

A final comment for anyone who might come upon this topic looking for a real solution.
For my systems, openSUSE12.3 64 bit,kept very up to date, the issue seems to exist only for KDE desktops (at least for 4.10.5).
Both Gnome and XFCE desktops on the same install seem OK for qcadPro 3.0.0 as well as 3.2.1.

And there also seems to be a dependency on graphics driver, fglrx (ATI) vs intel.
As I worked the issue, some environments started to work.
It is likely another round of library updates (system, no qgad) will eliminate the problem.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”