Group Tool

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

peter76

Group Tool

Post by peter76 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:28 pm

I would very much like to see a group / ungroup tool in Qcad 3.

Regards Peter

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Group Tool

Post by andrew » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Groups are called 'blocks' in CAD / QCAD.

In other words, a block is a named, reusable group.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Peter
In addition, in CAD/QCAD 'Blocks' can be exploded to break them back down again into single entities (lines, arcs and so on). In QCAD quite simply select the block in question and
go to > Main Menu > Modify > Explode.

Essentially this is the same as 'un-grouping' in say Illustrator!
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

growdigital
Newbie Member

Post by growdigital » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:14 pm

It would be nice to have the ability to group different elements though -- you don't always want to create a re-usable block. For example, I have different sized trees on a garden plan, which all have text, a circle for the edge of the tree and a trunk at the centre. I don't want to create 40+ different blocks just to be able to group the items so that I can move them easily.

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:20 am

You don't have to create 40 blocks. Just select all the trees you want to change by clicking with the mouse and holding down the shift key. Then you can move the selection directly or you can create a temporary block just in case you want to change or use the selection again.

regards Thomas
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

jimherndon
Newbie Member

Post by jimherndon » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:29 am

I would love to have a "Group" and "Ungroup" tool that is common to many CAD systems.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:30 am

May I enter the discussion regarding the benefits of the Group / Ungroup tool?

A couple of examples to illustrate why I would recommend the Group / Ungroup tool:

1. If you have a few detail drawing titles on the one drawing, you could have a block and layer for all the blocks or a block for each title. Yes, this is getting complicated. Another option is to 'group' the detail title and scale and reference drawing number together; they now act as one and cannot 'drift' apart unless you 'ungroup' and modify the arrangement. Or some Title groups may omit the 'scale' etc.

2. Sometimes I have a component that is needed in a particular position, I find it handy to 'group' this with something that is unlikely to move accidentally.

I suggest that as I am working in architecture, I have hundreds of blocks and like to keep the keeping and categories as simple as possible. To me 'Grouping' a number of components are a useful tool, that may have far more uses than I can imagine.

Thank you for reading this

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”