Polar tracking in QCAD

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

neshen

Polar tracking in QCAD

Post by neshen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 am

Hi,
Am new to QCAD. Just installed it on ubuntu a few days ago. Its quite a powerful software with an easy module for creating isometric views.

But can find polar tracking in the demo version. Is it available in the pro?? Is there polar tracking option in Qcad???

Also If i want to draw a straight line with a given dimension, is the only way to do that by writing the coordinates e.g @50,0. Does Qcad has the option as in draftsight or autocad to move the curso in the the direction you want to draw the line and jut type the length e.g 50 in the command box to obtain the output.

Also everytime I need to click in the commad box to input command. Can it be set to default, that is if a type anything on the keyboard it goes directly into the command window.

Thanks for you time

Clive

Re: Polar tracking in QCAD

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:57 am

Hi neshen, firstly welcome to the forum.
neshen wrote:But can find polar tracking in the demo version. Is it available in the pro?? Is there polar tracking option in Qcad???
This option is not available yet in QCAD, however it is simple to refer to the coordinate feedback given in the status bar. Please refer to this previous topic regarding this matter. A feature request already exists for this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&p=6893#p6893
neshen wrote:Also If i want to draw a straight line with a given dimension, is the only way to do that by writing the coordinates e.g @50,0. Does Qcad has the option as in draftsight or autocad to move the curso in the the direction you want to draw the line and jut type the length e.g 50 in the command box to obtain the output.
Many CAD programs have this option as you say and it is a very quick way of producing orthogonal lines at given distances. I also was looking for this method when I first used QCAD but quickly realized and prefer now the options offered in the 'Line Tools' toolset - 'Horizontal Line and Vertical Line', the screenshot below is showing the Horizontal Line option with available fields for entering in the length and reference point positions (Start, Middle and End).
Horizontal line option.png
Horizontal line option.png (8.08 KiB) Viewed 12022 times
I guess it depends on what you are used to, yes having the 'quick' method like in other CAD programs is indeed useful...but you soon get used to the method QCAD uses.
Please feel free to add a feature request for this 'quick' method here (for bugs and feature requests).
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/
neshen wrote:Also everytime I need to click in the commad box to input command. Can it be set to default, that is if a type anything on the keyboard it goes directly into the command window.
Just tap the space bar for this one!
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

neshen

Post by neshen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi Clive, Thank you for all the useful tips. These will definitely improve my use of QCAD.

I have another question regarding the presentation of the drawings. For example I have drawn a component and now I have to place it on a template that is to generate a technical drawing. That is with the border, scale, dim etc... Can you provide any tutorial for that.

can we have different layout with viewports as in Autocad with the template as well??

Regards
neshen

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:58 pm

neshen wrote:I have another question regarding the presentation of the drawings. For example I have drawn a component and now I have to place it on a template that is to generate a technical drawing. That is with the border, scale, dim etc... Can you provide any tutorial for that.
Either:
1. Open template and draft directly into it.
2. Copy and paste drawing/details into a template.
You will find some templates already 'set up to go' here:
viewforum.php?f=51
neshen wrote:can we have different layout with viewports as in Autocad with the template as well??
Not available yet...another feature request to add :wink:
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

neshen

Post by neshen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:30 am

Thanks for the reply and for the templates samples. I still have an issue with the presentation of the drawing though. For example I have drawn a maritime shipping container to scale which is approximately 6m in length, 2.438m wide and 2.59m high. Is is possible to place such big drawing into an A4 or A3 template with dimensions as well.

Regards
Neshen

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:08 pm

neshen wrote:Is is possible to place such big drawing into an A4 or A3 template with dimensions as well.Neshen
Hi neshen - yes it is!
The "Cad rules" are easy. Draw everything 1:1. During the printing process you have the possibility to scale your drawing to a size which will fit on a A4 or what ever. But remember - if you have to use a drawing sheet frame you have to scale it prior the printing task opposing your chosen scale size what means:
You will print the drawing i.e. 1:10 - you have to "scale up" your drawing sheet 10 times ... :wink:

neshen

Post by neshen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. They are very useful indeed. Yeah I was able to insert the drawing frame and scale it to fit my drawing which is to scale. It's perfect. I do have an issue though with the dimensioning. Am not able to change the text size, so that its readable. Is it possible to format the dimensions as in autocad, that is change the text size, arrow size, etc......... cheerzzz

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:01 pm

neshen wrote:Is it possible to format the dimensions as in autocad, that is change the text size, arrow size, etc.
Easily :D
To change the dimension settings just for the actual drawing you will find the dialog below:
Edit -> Drawing preferences -> Dimension -> Dimension settings

If you like to set default settings for all new drawings:
Edit -> Application preferences -> Dimension -> Dimension settings
Husky-2013.10.09-03.png
Husky-2013.10.09-03.png (28.31 KiB) Viewed 12005 times
Husky-2013.10.09-01.png
Husky-2013.10.09-01.png (40.21 KiB) Viewed 12005 times
........ cheerzzz :wink:

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Neshen: I've moved your latest post and the answer from J-J to a new topic, since it is unrelated to this topic about 'polar tracking':
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2609

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”