[solved] search path

Post your question about installing or upgrading QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Post one question per topic.

khad
Newbie Member

[solved] search path

Post by khad » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:04 pm

The pace of progress qcad makes is simply amazing - just downloaded 3.4.4 and checked selection filtering, great! (just a small glitch: grips are drawn also for entities on hidden layers).
However, I started to customize the interface a little to my needs, and with each new version, I have to edit / overwrite files in quite a couple of places.
I did not find a setting for a search path, so is there a way to put customized scripts etc. anywhere to give them precedence over the shipped versions?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: search path

Post by andrew » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:29 pm

khad wrote:just a small glitch: grips are drawn also for entities on hidden layers
Thanks. Bug report at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... ask_id=982
khad wrote:However, I started to customize the interface a little to my needs, and with each new version, I have to edit / overwrite files in quite a couple of places.
Would it be possible to integrate those customizations into QCAD (possibly as user preferences)?
khad wrote:I did not find a setting for a search path, so is there a way to put customized scripts etc. anywhere to give them precedence over the shipped versions?
It's not possible to 'override' scripts that are shipped with QCAD. What you can do instead is to disable the original script in a postInit function of your script:
function postInit() {
    // hide original tool:
    var a = RGuiAction.getByScriptFile("scripts/Path/To/Original/Tool/Tool.js");
    a.setVisible(false);
}
In init, your script would add an implementation of your own tool to the GUI as usual.

khad
Newbie Member

Re: search path

Post by khad » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks for the swift answer - I would never have figured this out myself...
My dumb solution was to create a "qcad-current" link to point to the latest version, and a "qcad-custom" directory to hold customized files. Then I edited the include statements in the scripts to point to qcad-current, and edited QCAD3.conf to load the customized scripts instead of the original ones... not sure this would survive an update, though.

But what about other support files, e.g. hatches and linetypes? (btw, where are linetypes defined?) If you added .pat files (many found on internet could not be distributed with qcad) to the patterns folder, it would be nice to not have to repeat this for each release.

PS: I will of course share when I think I got something worthwhile, at the moment I'm just fiddling with .ui files to maximize viewport area a bit (I use a netbook quite often).

Return to “QCAD Installation and Upgrades”