Loosing Command Line Usage.

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Jang
Newbie Member

Loosing Command Line Usage.

Post by Jang » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:50 pm

Mac OS 10.8.5 Mt. Lion,
QCAD Pro
Version: 3.4.5.0 (3.4.5)
Build Date: Dec 17 2013
Qt Version: 4.8.4
Compiler: gcc 4.2.1

Yes, I am new to QCAD, and am working my way through the new book to learn all the commands & tools properly, but after drawing a few lines and working for a few minutes, it seems I find myself unable to re-enter commands in the command line. It's like I am locked out. I just get error beeps. :cry:

Also, when this condition exists, I can't delete anything I select, using my delete keys, although if I use delete from the Edit pull down menu, delete works that way.
Even if I right click many times, or hit the escape key many times, I just get error sounds and no command line control (more error beeps).

I found that if I save my file and reload it, it seems OK again..., for a while, at least.

Is there something I can do to avoid this?
I doubt if this is normal, perhaps it's a Mac thing?
or I am doing things the wrong way ?

Any other Mac users or otherwise experience this?
Other than this, I am loving this QCAD and I will be spending hours with it.
Thanks.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Loosing Command Line Usage.

Post by Husky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Jang - that is not a common behavior of QCAD :wink:

I'm not a MAC User but after reading this ...
Jang wrote:It's like I am locked out. I just get error beeps.
.. my question is:
What happen if you use the "Reset/Idle" (QQ) Tool?

Jang
Newbie Member

Post by Jang » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:45 pm

Tried that too, many times, does not help.
Only thing that seems to help is to save/reload file, then it's OK, for a while…
then, bang, stuck again…
I will add this…
I can draw many, many lines & rectangles and things are fine with that, but
if I use the 'draw parallel with distance' tool it starts the trouble again.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Jang wrote:I will add this…
I can draw many, many lines & rectangles and things are fine with that, but
if I use the 'draw parallel with distance' tool it starts the trouble again.
I can't reproduce it in Windows :cry: - works just as expected.

Maybe only Andrew has an answer to your problem but I like to ask you one more question:
Have you installed this version of QCAD in a new, empty directory or is the same directory used for a couple "Test" installation? If you used the same directory for multiple QCAD installation I recommend to reinstall QCAD in a new and empty Directory ...

Jang
Newbie Member

Post by Jang » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Discovery; I found that by using "Reset/Idle" (only from the pull-down Edit Menu) allowed me to enter commands again into the command line. (I was Not locked out anymore) So this did help.

And also, even though I still could/can not delete objects with my delete keys, I found that I am able to select an object and type in 'delete' in the command line, and the object gets deleted.
So, things are a little better now with this too.
---
The 'QCAD-Pro.app' file is in my Applications Folder along with many other Applications.
This is quite normal for most systems.
Or, are you saying that I should create a separate QCAD Folder and then put the App into That?
---
BTW, I did save a copy of the QCAD Demo App. but it is all zipped-up and in it's own folder else ware, so that should not be a problem.

Thanks for your assistance, so far.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi Jang

Have you installed QCAD pro without un-installing any trial versions? I would recommend un-installing QCAD and any other versions of QCAD installed and make sure you have a fresh new clean install and test again! In Windows this is how I would do it, not sure about mac!
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:10 pm

clive wrote:Have you installed QCAD pro without un-installing any trial versions? I would recommend un-installing QCAD and any other versions of QCAD installed and make sure you have a fresh new clean install and test again! In Windows this is how I would do it, not sure about mac!
This is actually never an issue under Mac OS X, since applications are properly organized as self-contained application bundles.

Jang
Newbie Member

Post by Jang » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:05 am

Thanks,
I uninstalled QCAD totally, including any preference files, even that config .ini thing.
There were even some hidden QCad files that I found and trashed.

I Re-Installed QCAD, did some testing, and every thing seems much smoother now. :)
Perhaps simply Re-Installing, was the key after all. I'll keep an eye on it, for a while.
Jang

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:37 am

Jang wrote:I Re-Installed QCAD, did some testing, and every thing seems much smoother now. :)
Yep - that is how we like it, right? :wink:

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 am

Jang wrote:I uninstalled QCAD totally, including any preference files, even that config .ini thing.

I Re-Installed QCAD, did some testing, and every thing seems much smoother now. :)
Good to hear. I'd guess that something in the configuration was causing the problem, even though I'm not quite sure what.

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:34 am

Well done Jang - yippie kay-yay, 8)
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Jang
Newbie Member

Post by Jang » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Yes, WOW ! , as I move forward now, on the learning curve, I realize even more how much better things are working.

example; I found / (learned) that I can initiate 'snap-to' (whatever) commands 'on-the-fly' (if you will) where, in my QCAD's previous state, this was not possible, unless I left-clicked in the command line first. Even then, it was usually rejecting my commands.

Man ! , what a difference….
Fabulous program !!

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Jang wrote:... example; I found / (learned) that I can initiate 'snap-to' (whatever) commands 'on-the-fly' (if you will) ...
... it's called "Autosnap". This powerful Function is adjustable for every personal preference ... check it out below "Edit" / "Application Preferences"
Husky-2014.01.10-01.png
Husky-2014.01.10-01.png (68.81 KiB) Viewed 20925 times
But now I'm drifting "Out of Topic" ....

If you have further question just go ahead .... with a new topic :wink:

Jang
Newbie Member

Post by Jang » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:22 am

Yeah, "Auto Snap" , what a great help that is ! precision is only a snap away ! I like it.

I'm still plodding along in the book and trying my own test dwg's. as I go, and just having a ball with this.
I should go over the snapping section again and make up a cheat sheet with all those shortcut keys.

Actually, I got ahead of myself, and tried something with an Isometric grid, and soon found out that things can get tricky sometimes when you don't know what your doing.

OK, back to work now.

Note; I DO have a snapping question but, I will start a new thread in the "How do I" section.
TX

Edit Added: Actually, after looking at the Auto Snap / Preferences , I found what I was looking for.
I did not have 'Points on Entity' checked and after checking that option, I found that I could achieve what I was trying to do.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”