Block with predefined layers behaves unexpectedly

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

LeoP

Block with predefined layers behaves unexpectedly

Post by LeoP » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 pm

In Qcad2, I used a single block with a border, title block and logo block and a bunch of layer definitions to standardize my drawings appearance.
Loading that very same block in Qcad 3 gives me the border, title block and logo but none of the other (not yet used) layers.
Starting a new drawing while using that same block as a template gives me everything, but exploded: no blocks (which is not so handy).

What do I have to do to get the 'old' behaviour back (i.e. load border, title block and logo in one go as blocks, plus all predefined layers) without a multitude of extra mouse clicks that are error-prone?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Block with predefined layers behaves unexpectedly

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:41 am

If I understand you correctly, you are starting with an empty drawing and then insert a block from the part library browser to get started with a template with predefined layers, etc.
QCAD 3 does not insert unused layers into your drawing which presents a problem for your use case.

The recommended way to start a drawing from a template in QCAD 3 is through the menu File > New from Template. The templates that can be used for this tool are stored in libraries/templates/imperial or libraries/templates/metric.

I'd recommend to create a drawing that contains everything you usually need to work with (border block, layers, blocks, correct drawing settings, etc). Save that drawing into libraries/templates/imperial or libraries/templates/metric. Then use File > New from Template to start a new drawing.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:34 am

andrew wrote:QCAD 3 does not insert unused layers into your drawing which presents a problem for your use case.
Maybe this could be made configurable ? - just an idea and could prove useful at times.

@LeoP, if you have spent considerable time creating your custom template in QCAD 2, what you could do is add a small point or line or something in QCAD 2 to these layers and then open it up in QCAD 3 then select all and delete these temporary entities, this will at least preserve the layers and then do as Andrew recommends - i.e. set up the template and save it to the template library!

Not ideal but may help you out.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

J-J

Post by J-J » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 pm

I made a start drawing with all the typical layers that I need to start a new project, it resides in the template directory. Every time I start QCAD this drawing is inserted automatically via a little script that Andrew made. The script is invoked within the start link of the program, quite handy and fully customizable.
Attachments
template.js
(231 Bytes) Downloaded 533 times
JJ Win7 pro-64

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”