Bitmap lost if I change computers

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

bozzle

Bitmap lost if I change computers

Post by bozzle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi,

I am running 3.4.6 on xp on my desktop and on windows 7 set to xp compatible on my laptop. If I load a bitmap to a qcad file it works fine on 1 computer but that bitmap will not open on the other computer. I now have one file saved on a flash drive which opens one bitmap on one computer and another on the other computer. Am I correct in assuming qcad imports bitmap details from the computer rather than from the flash drive? Is there a way around this so that I can open the same bitmap from a flash drive

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Bitmap lost if I change computers

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:11 pm

The recommended way is to create a folder for your project and put the DXF file as well as all external resources (bitmaps) into that folder. When moving to another computer or otherwise transferring drawings (by e-mail, as ZIP archive, etc) always move or pack the entire project folder.

QCAD searches for bitmaps first at their absolute saved location (path) and secondarily in the same directory as the drawing file. When changing computers, the drive letter of the flash drive might change which means QCAD can no longer find the file if it not in the same folder as the drawing file.

bozzle

Re: Bitmap lost if I change computers

Post by bozzle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Many Thanks. Your support is greatly appreciated

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”