File-Open failure

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

cmcgrath5035

File-Open failure

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:31 pm

I apologize up front for for less than precise terminology.

I run QCADCAM-Pro 3.4.6 on openSUSE 13.1 KDE 4.12.4

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux PVE-LinuxSRV5 3.11.10-9.gdf9697b-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 8 15:41:04 UTC 2014 (df9697b) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Overall performance and operation has been excellent, until recently, which **may** coincide with upgrade from KDE 4.11.x to KDE 4.12.y.

The issue I am seeing is related to opening files.
  • If I navigate to a file.dxf in Dolphin (KDE file manager), then right click on it and select Open With: qcad, all is well
    If I start qcad with ./qcad from the install directory, or if I start it from the GUI (using a customized qcad.desktp file),then chose File-Open Recent and select from the list, file.dxf opens OK
    If I start qcad with ./qcad from the install directory, or if I start it from the GUI (using a customized qcad.desktp file), then choose File-Open, a file browser opens (I believe this is called the kde file chooser interface), I can navigate my file system to a file, I left click on a file , which normally would select it, the file chooser window closes but no file gets opened in QCADCAM.
Here is a capture of CLI messages

./qcad
Debug:    RCamScriptsPlugin: init 
Debug:    RDxfPlugin::init 
Debug:    RHelpPlugin::init 
Debug:    RProScriptsPlugin::init 
Debug:    TIMER:  77 ms -  "loading add-ons" 
Debug:    TIMER:  772 ms -  "initializing add-ons" 
Debug:    RPluginBase: postInit:  "CAM" 
Debug:    RPluginBase: postInit:  "DWG" 
Debug:    RPluginBase: postInit:  "Pro Tools" 
[b]Warning:  KGlobal::locale(): Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created. You should not do that since it most likely will not work
Warning:  Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Warning:  Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)[/b]
The highlighted CLI messages appear when I move the mouse into the tree hierarchy of the file chooser interface.
((Hmmm, color and bold highlighting not working in code window?))
I tried similar CLI starups with gimp and inkscape, but thesy seem to use a differnt file chooser interface (I believe called the qT file chooser)
QCAD seems to use the KDE chooser (via KDE integration), so I tried a know KDE App with these results

> gwenview
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
The file choosing process worked OK there, same file chooser as QCAD.
Note the same two "No such signal" warnings, but no complaint about " KGlobal::locale().."

I plan to take this issue to the openSUSE forum as well, but expect a request I check with the application author.

Any thoughts from your end?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: File-Open failure

Post by andrew » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 pm

QCAD uses Qt for its user interface, including file dialogs. QCAD tells Qt to use the native file dialog since it has major advantages over the Qt file dialog, especially under Mac OS X and Windows. If the native file dialog does not work, this is either a bug between Qt and KDE or due to the fact that we use Qt 4.8.4 which might simply not support your updated KDE version.

If you are comfortable with a plain text editor and JavaScript source code, you can resort to using the Qt file dialog instead:

File 'scripts/File/OpenFile/OpenFile.js':

Line ~68:
fileDialog.setOption(QFileDialog.DontUseNativeDialog, true);

cmcgrath5035

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

I suspect it is related to your comment:
"...this is either a bug between Qt and KDE or due to the fact that we use Qt 4.8.4 which might simply not support your updated KDE version."

I'll pursue this on openSUSE forum and see what I can find.

Something is for sure changed in the implementation of KDE 4.12.y from previous releases(e.g. 4.11.x)
I found I had very intermittent (infrequent) crashes of the whole desktop session (not QCAD related) and the file chooser interface discussed here would cause QCAD to seg fault soon after the mouse entered the file tree hierarchy; I decided to rebuild my .kde4 profile.
So far, no desktop crashes and this new, different, but still defective behavior of QCAD when using the file chooser.

For now, I know how to start QCAD and get work done.
I may try reverting to the QT interface with you suggested tweak as a "learning adventure" :D

cmcgrath5035

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:26 pm

:oops:
It would appear that in my initial attempts to debug KDE desktop crashes that **appeared** to be QCAD related I borked the script ...../scripts/OpenFile/OpenFile.js while chasing the error message related to KGlobal::locale():.

A clean unpacking of QCADCAM 3.4.6 works fine
MY bad.... :oops:

PS: It would appear that the root cause of my desktop crashes was an out of date ~/.kde4 config directory.
I rebuilt a new ~/.kde4 and crashes have stopped (so far).
Some difference between KDE 4.11.x and 4.12.y probably the cause; I was unable to pinpoint it.
Issue was broader than QCADCAM.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”