Old dog, new tricks

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

striker

Old dog, new tricks

Post by striker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi there. My last QCAD use was back in 2008, using V2.2.1. I developed the LearnQcad training video (6hrs) using version 2.2.2. Now I am back to learn QCAD V3.4 and totally redo the training videos and make them much better. So I am basically a newbie to V3.4.6, although I have finished Lessons 1-15 of 30 proposed lessons for V3.4.

I thoroughly enjoy QCAD and its ease of use. It was my first (and most likely my last) CAD program. I just can't believe that ...everyone... isn't using it!

Clive

Re: Old dog, new tricks

Post by Clive » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Aha ... interesting , the story unfolds. well I wish you the very best with your venture. Presumably the training videos will need to be paid for ? we will need to be careful what answers we give you in future :) .
Hopefully we will learn some 'new tricks from an old dog' :wink:
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

striker

Post by striker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:21 pm

I have just finished a free 28-minute "QuickStart with QCAD" training video that will get the new QCAD user comfortable with using QCAD. Within the next few days, I hope to have it available on-line. Later in mid June 2014 there will be a 6-hour Training Video with about 30 lessons and it will be named "Serious with QCAD". It will cost about $20. I want to keep the price low so that more people can afford to quickly experience the power of QCAD.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 am

striker wrote:I have just finished a free 28-minute "QuickStart with QCAD" training video that will get the new QCAD user comfortable with using QCAD. Within the next few days, I hope to have it available on-line.
Interesting - I'd love to see it. 8)
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:39 pm

striker wrote:I have just finished a free 28-minute "QuickStart with QCAD" training video that will get the new QCAD user comfortable with using QCAD. Within the next few days, I hope to have it available on-line. Later in mid June 2014 there will be a 6-hour Training Video with about 30 lessons and it will be named "Serious with QCAD". It will cost about $20. I want to keep the price low so that more people can afford to quickly experience the power of QCAD.
Just to make you aware that some of your proposed lessons, for example 'Lesson-7 Drawing Lines' contain some tools - i.e. '2-Point Line Extended' that have been developed and contributed freely by the QCAD community!
These freely developed tools have been incorporated by Andrew into QCAD itself, so it kind of sucks to use these type of additions in your 'paid for' tutorials.
Probably you are not aware of these instances. QCAD pro has the advantage of users contributing in this way and I don't think any of the 'free added tools' should be used in this way, probably you are not aware of this and I think it would be wise to consult with Andrew, or the authors of such free tools to have their consent first, maybe you have already consulted Andrew and I've got it all wrong but please be advised that I do wish you all the best with your videos and that I am only picking up on this so that things are done in the correct and honest and right way.

Please advise us/me on this.

Regards

Clive
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

striker

Post by striker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 pm

@ Clive, thanks for your concern about free tools. Your logic would indicate that the "QCAD Book" should also not cover these specific tools, since the book is sold for a profit.

Both the Book and my Training Videos only benefit those who already have license to use the tools. Writing of Books and creation of Training Videos both provide immediate in-depth understanding for the User. Any compensation derived is for the time saved in understanding the tool's use, and not for the use of the tool. The writing of Books and creation of Training Videos, provide valuable resources that benefit the QCAD community.

The FREE 26-minute "QuickStart for Qcad" is now available for viewing at http://www.LearnQcad.com and is provided FREE to help new users to quickly get QCAD working for them.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:08 am

Clive wrote:These freely developed tools have been incorporated by Andrew into QCAD itself, so it kind of sucks to use these type of additions in your 'paid for' tutorials.
I understand your concern. However, everyone is entitled to produce documentation (books, e-books, videos, etc.) or offer support for any product and make it available under any license they see fit, free or commercial.

Personally, I'm happy to see any kind of resources being produced about QCAD. Commercial products will likely appeal to a different kind of audience than freely available resources. I'm also hoping to produce more (free) training material in the future, but I am aware of the effort behind producing documentation and usually think my time is better spent with software development or consulting.

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46 am

striker, andrew
Thanks very much for all your explanations, I really wasn't sure about what you can or cannot do in these type of circumstances, thanks again.
So with this new knowledge I have I can produce a similar set of training videos or training documentation and offer them for free or otherwise , I already have a few ideas:wink:

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:03 am

Clive wrote:So with this new knowledge I have I can produce a similar set of training videos or training documentation and offer them for free :wink:
Yes, of course! I probably would have also recorded some more tutorials by now if I wouldn't hate my own recorded voice so much ;) My English is also not native, which doesn't help and Swiss-German videos would have a rather limited audience..

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 am

Andrew, thanks, I just missed your last post, I edited the one before slightly as I had some ideas!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”