surveying function please!

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

AndreasO

surveying function please!

Post by AndreasO » Fri May 02, 2014 2:50 pm

I´m a surveyor and I realy like qcad´s exelent interface.

But I need qcad to work with hights, terrainmodells and some volume calculating before I can use it in my work.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: surveying function please!

Post by andrew » Fri May 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

Please keep in mind that QCAD is a 2D CAD system. Heights, terrain and volume are all 3D aspects which cannot be represented with QCAD.

AndreasO

Post by AndreasO » Fri May 02, 2014 3:15 pm

andrew wrote:Thanks for your feedback.

Please keep in mind that QCAD is a 2D CAD system. Heights, terrain and volume are all 3D aspects which cannot be represented with QCAD.
would it be to hard to implement a set of basic futures for xyz calculations? the dxf-format supports z values.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri May 02, 2014 4:04 pm

QCAD generally loads and stores Z values of DXF coordinates for example for 3D points, 3D lines, 3D arcs and circles that are parallel to the X/Y plane.

However, QCAD does not support the typical 3D entities such as 3DFACE, 3DSOLID, BODY at all.
Further, QCAD does not support viewing or editing of 3D data.

Perhaps, you can describe in more detail what problem you are intending to solve and attach some example data, screenshots, etc, so I can give you an idea if QCAD is suitable for the task.

AndreasO

Post by AndreasO » Fri May 02, 2014 10:51 pm

andrew wrote:QCAD generally loads and stores Z values of DXF coordinates for example for 3D points, 3D lines, 3D arcs and circles that are parallel to the X/Y plane.

However, QCAD does not support the typical 3D entities such as 3DFACE, 3DSOLID, BODY at all.
Further, QCAD does not support viewing or editing of 3D data.

Perhaps, you can describe in more detail what problem you are intending to solve and attach some example data, screenshots, etc, so I can give you an idea if QCAD is suitable for the task.
Well, i dont need 3d models/solids. In surveying you work with coordinates in some system, normaly based on a mathematical repressentation of a rounded surface(earth) on a flat one... a map.

I need the nodes/points in the 2D drawing to have z/hights and be able to edit them easely, to select nodes and look at and edit in "excel" like table is prefereble. Also a measuringtool that can give me length(leveld and sloping), sloping angeln in percent/degrees and differens in xyz... between points.
Some way to measure areas would also be of use.

So i dont looking for 3d modelling, its about maps and some basic measuring of areas and heights.

Look at topocad att adtollo.se , its the software i use. chose english in the upper right corner to get the english version then go to download and read the manual, look at the 2d stuff.
In version 15 they have gone for mfc ribbons and i hate it!

I love qcad and I am convinced it would work well for simple geodetic calculations.

AndreasO

Post by AndreasO » Fri May 02, 2014 10:59 pm

I missed that you got some things I asked for, but editing points in text I cant find. and how do I put in point by inputing known coordinates? need to that when I get coordinates on paper.=)

Look at topocad and I think you get wath I look for.I promise to tell ewery surveyor I know about qcad if you implement a litle more things for surveying.

After that your not far from attracting a huge market dominated by a few companes.

AndreasO

Post by AndreasO » Sat May 03, 2014 7:58 am

Coordinates from surveying normaly includes id, xyz, and a code. Dont know if dxf supports point id and code. Some support for "landxml" would be great.

AndreasO

Post by AndreasO » Tue May 13, 2014 7:17 am

What do you Think?

There is a "Property editor" that you could expand upon with a "Z" field, djust for checking hight.
That would make a huge difference for me.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue May 13, 2014 8:57 am

You can display Z values in the property editor by saving the attached file to:
<QCAD installation directory>/scripts/Widgets/PropertyEditor/PropertyEditor.js

This replaces the file that already exists.

Future QCAD versions might offer a user preference to display Z values, so I'd appreciate any feedback on this experimental feature. Thanks.
Attachments
PropertyEditor.js
(44.42 KiB) Downloaded 594 times

AndreasO

Post by AndreasO » Tue May 13, 2014 9:39 am

andrew wrote:You can display Z values in the property editor by saving the attached file to:
<QCAD installation directory>/scripts/Widgets/PropertyEditor/PropertyEditor.js

This replaces the file that already exists.

Future QCAD versions might offer a user preference to display Z values, so I'd appreciate any feedback on this experimental feature. Thanks.
It seems to work fine, but would it be pousible to make an excel-like editor to edit mutiple Points at once?

I have coded a litle with basic and trying to learn python. Sadly I have no experience with JavaScript. Maby its time to try it.=)

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”