Introduction and ? s

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Bryan
Registered Member

Introduction and ? s

Post by Bryan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 pm

Hi all,
Name's Bryan. From USA, North Carolina
Dropping Auto Desk and have a few questions.
Is QCAD a subscription? If so, is there more than one possible length of a subscription?
Does QCAD have layering abilities, off, on, ability to draw in the current layer only?
Doing landscape design and I draw all of my objects for a more "unique" effect... are lineweights variable?
Can I "join" separate lines as long as they are the same "type"... ex: join two separate polylines?
Can I assign block and XRef status? Can the objects I create be stored in a "Design Center" type of setting that I can access from different drawings?
Can I work in "Polar co ordinates", degrees, minutes, seconds, north to south?
Is QCAD available in 2D only?

Thank you.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Introduction and ? s

Post by Husky » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:41 am

Hi Bryan,
Bryan wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 pm
Is QCAD a subscription?
No. If you purchased the software you can use it for ever.
Bryan wrote:
Does QCAD have layering abilities, off, on, ability to draw in the current layer only?
Yes.
Bryan wrote:
Doing landscape design and I draw all of my objects for a more "unique" effect... are lineweights variable?
Yes.
Bryan wrote:
Can I "join" separate lines as long as they are the same "type"... ex: join two separate polylines?
Yes and no.
Yes to polylines. No to lines etc. At least not directly. e_surprised You can join lines converting them to a polyline. In a perfect world you could then explode them afterward to convert it back to a single line. Depends on situation!
Bryan wrote:
Can I assign block and XRef status? Can the objects I create be stored in a "Design Center" type of setting that I can access from different drawings?
Yes and no.
Yes to blocks.
1. Used directly in and for the actual drawing
2. Used out of a Library (Design Center) for multiple drawings.
No to XREF. A Library item used in a drawing will be autarch with no further connection to the Library source.
Bryan wrote:
Can I work in "Polar co ordinates", degrees, minutes, seconds, north to south?
Yes.
Bryan wrote:
Is QCAD available in 2D only?
Yes.

This QCAD feature list will help you to answer all your questions ...

https://www.qcad.org/en/documentation/features

... or a free of charge trial will give you a better feeling for the software: :wink:

https://www.qcad.org/de/qcad-downloads-trial

Based on the ratio "Introducing" "Pre-sales Questions" I will move this topic to "Pre-sales Questions".
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro

If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title...". Thanks!

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”