Are These Bugs or Features?

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Lizzie
Newbie Member

Are These Bugs or Features?

Post by Lizzie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:44 am

I am in the process of evaluating QCAD using the community edition. I have successfully imported a .dxf file, edited it and printed it.

Every since I upgraded from my original download to 3.7.6 and then to 3.7.7, the software is one continual crash after another. Sometimes the system hangs anywhere from several seconds to several minutes. Is this a problem with the Pro version also? I am using windows 8.1 with a i5-4430 CPU and have 6 GB of RAM.

When I save my file and the trial version is active, I get an error message about it being the wrong format. I have been getting this message since the upgrade to 3.7.7.

The file format version you are using is not recommended:
'R15 (2000) DXF Drawing (Telgha) (*.dxf)'.
All black entities and layers will be saved as white.
All custom colors will be 'rounded' to the nearest fixed color.
Proceed?

I am also unable to remove the CAM, DWG, Polygon, and Pro Tools from the install.

Before these problems cropped up, I had decided to purchase QCAD at the earliest opportunity; with these problems, I am not so sure.

Julie Bunker

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Are These Bugs or Features?

Post by Husky » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:36 am

Hello Lizzie - welcome to the Forum!

An update is always a full new installation which has to be installed in a new and empty subdirectory.

Did you install the 3.7.7 in an empty subdirectory? If not - please install QCad 3.7.7 again in a "fresh" new subdirectory.

Keep us posted!
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:39 am

Lizzie wrote:Every since I upgraded from my original download to 3.7.6 and then to 3.7.7, the software is one continual crash after another.
A crash is an incident in which the software stops working and does not recover. Is this what you are experiencing? Note that a delay is not a crash, but a performance issue, it is important that we are talking about the same thing here.
Sometimes the system hangs anywhere from several seconds to several minutes.
Could you please attach or e-mail the drawing file you are working with? Thanks.

A common cause for such delays is the auto save function. QCAD automatically saves your drawing every 5min by default. If your drawing is relatively large, this can take several seconds. If your drawing file is large and on a network drive, this can cause an even more significant delay. To configure auto save, go to Edit > Application Preferences > Load/Save > Autosave
When I save my file and the trial version is active, I get an error message about it being the wrong format. I have been getting this message since the upgrade to 3.7.7.

Proceed?
This is not an error message, but a warning / recommendation which means that you are saving in an older version of the DXF format which does not support full colors or the color black. QCAD recommends to use newer file format which is something you can consider or choose to ignore.
I am also unable to remove the CAM, DWG, Polygon, and Pro Tools from the install.
To uninstall the trial modules, you need the same permissions as for installing QCAD. If you cannot remove them, you very likely have no administrator rights on the QCAD installation folder. Please ask someone who does for help.

Lizzie
Newbie Member

Post by Lizzie » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:05 am

Husky wrote:Hello Lizzie - welcome to the Forum!

An update is always a full new installation which has to be installed in a new and empty subdirectory.

Did you install the 3.7.7 in an empty subdirectory? If not - please install QCad 3.7.7 again in a "fresh" new subdirectory.

Keep us posted!
I deleted the old version and the folder that it was in. Then I did the install

Lizzie
Newbie Member

Post by Lizzie » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:35 am

andrew wrote:
Lizzie wrote:Every since I upgraded from my original download to 3.7.6 and then to 3.7.7, the software is one continual crash after another.
A crash is an incident in which the software stops working and does not recover. Is this what you are experiencing? Note that a delay is not a crash, but a performance issue, it is important that we are talking about the same thing here.

The program both crashes and hangs. It will hang sometimes up to 5 minutes or so. Then other times it stops responding. The only way I can move on is to use Task Manager to end it.
Sometimes the system hangs anywhere from several seconds to several minutes.
Could you please attach or e-mail the drawing file you are working with? Thanks.

How do I attach the file I assume you mean to the post? Or to what email address do I send it? Oh by the way, the drawing that I am working on was originally an Autocad drawing. I am sure that that makes some sort of difference :roll: .

A common cause for such delays is the auto save function. QCAD automatically saves your drawing every 5min by default. If your drawing is relatively large, this can take several seconds. If your drawing file is large and on a network drive, this can cause an even more significant delay. To configure auto save, go to Edit > Application Preferences > Load/Save > Autosave

Proceed?
This is not an error message, but a warning / recommendation which means that you are saving in an older version of the DXF format which does not support full colors or the color black. QCAD recommends to use newer file format which is something you can consider or choose to ignore.

How do I change to the new format?
To uninstall the trial modules, you need the same permissions as for installing QCAD. If you cannot remove them, you very likely have no administrator rights on the QCAD installation folder. Please ask someone who does for help.
I find it interesting that I do not have "permissions" on my personal stand-alone computer. But, I have run into this before with other programs, so I will check it all out.

Thanks for the response so far. If I can get this all ironed out, I truly believe that I will be purchasing a copy

Lizzie

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”