file format, layer question,

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Ted
Newbie Member

file format, layer question,

Post by Ted » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Before starting with Qcad;
I will be creating the painted lettering to re-new an 8 x 13" electrical flat panel
1) what file formats are possible? Can the Qcad program convert it to PDF?
2) can I use a JPEG photo of the electrical panel lettering as a LAYER to help position the new lettering? I will then remove the JPEG layer before saving and giving it to a Digital Sign Printer.
3) what is the smallest font size? My smallest lettering is a little less than 1/8" high. I assume there are some sans serif font choices.
4) can it produce a thin 1/16" border around some text with 1/4" radiused corners?

Many thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Re: file format, layer question,

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm

Ted wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:58 pm
1) what file formats are possible? Can the Qcad program convert it to PDF?
DXF, DWG, PNG, JPEG for import and DXF, DWG, SVG, PDF, PNG, JPEG for export. See also QCAD Features for a full list.
Ted wrote:
2) can I use a JPEG photo of the electrical panel lettering as a LAYER to help position the new lettering? I will then remove the JPEG layer before saving and giving it to a Digital Sign Printer.
Yes, you can insert an image (JPEG, PNG, etc. ) and put that image on a layer. You can also make the image partially transparent to make it blend in with the drawing without being in the way.
Ted wrote:
3) what is the smallest font size? My smallest lettering is a little less than 1/8" high. I assume there are some sans serif font choices.
You can use all fonts installed on your system with QCAD plus some CAD specific line fonts that come with QCAD. There is no lower or upper limit for text heights.
Ted wrote:
4) can it produce a thin 1/16" border around some text with 1/4" radiused corners?
You can draw a rectangle using the rectangle tool and round the corners using the round tool. If you wish to offset the text letters, you can do so using the offset tool. Please post to the How To forum if you need help with any of this and indicate what exactly you are trying to do.

Ted
Newbie Member

Post by Ted » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Thank you for a clear reply. For the basic free QCad 2D, not the Professional, do you not include a User Manual? I only see your EBook for $104.

Thanks

Ted
Newbie Member

Post by Ted » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Your link to "How do I …" gets me to questions for QCad Professional. I will be using QCad basic

Thanks

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Ted wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 pm
... I only see your EBook for $104.
I have no idea where you gathered this info but the Original QCAD Book / E-Book is offered by Ripponsoft for less than $35 (excl. VAT). And they offer many times (like right now!) very lucrative bundle prices with a 50% discount or so ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”