Cleaning files

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Mah
Registered Member

Cleaning files

Post by Mah » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:43 pm

We currently maintain our facility layout as a Solid Edge Draft file. I am looking to move this file to 2D-native software as I'm assuming it will be faster and easier to work with. I exported the drawing file as a DWG and it opened up in QCAD as a 20+mb file. Since I haven't worked with 2D files in a long time I don't know if that file is right sized for the data in the layout but is seems big. Is there a utility of QCAD feature that will "clean up" the file? I'm guessing there could be extraneous data making the file larger than it should be and slowing everything down. The file is nearly unusable in QCAD. I want to make sure I'm giving QCAD its proper chance in my evaluation.

**To head off misinterpretations, our Solid Edge version of the file does not contain any 3D data. The entire file was drawing using sketch tools in a Draft file.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Cleaning files

Post by Husky » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:16 pm

Hi Mah - welcome to the QCAD forum,
Mah wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:43 pm
I want to make sure I'm giving QCAD its proper chance in my evaluation.
20+ MB could be to big but there could be one or another way to make it still workable in QCAD.
Mah wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:43 pm
Is there a utility of QCAD feature that will "clean up" the file? I'm guessing there could be extraneous data making the file larger than it should be and slowing everything down.
Cleaning could be one option - knowing about the proper proceeding is an other (most likely better) option.

Anyway - without seeing a representable drawing we can't give you an honest answer to your question. If possible please attache a drawing to your post or if confidential feel free to use my PM.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”