Suggestion: Save With TimeStamp

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

DaleEltoft

Suggestion: Save With TimeStamp

Post by DaleEltoft » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:27 pm

A feature that I'd like to have is one that when saving my drawing I could choose to have a timestamp added to the filename to create a second file as an archive version.

To keep it simple so that QCAD doesn't need to get into managing versions, I envision this as the SavePlusVersion function which would do a normal Save to the file being edited and then do a second save creating a new file with the same name having a timestamp appended. The timestamp syntax should be such that these version files will sort in chronological order. Perhaps to make it international use a date without months. That is YYYYDDD where DDD counts days from beginning of the YYYY year. Plus HHMMSS. Feb 21, 2023 at 9:34:22 PM is represented as 2023052_213422. So Filename_YYYYDDD_HHMMSS.dxf ==>> Filename_2023052_213422.dxf.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Suggestion: Save With TimeStamp

Post by Husky » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:24 am

DaleEltoft wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:27 pm
A feature that I'd like to have is one that when saving my drawing I could choose to have a timestamp added to the filename to create a second file as an archive version.
Your OS is already adding a time stamp to the file - why not using it? Save the file with e.g. name "Planetary Gear_1.dxf" and the next time with "Planetary Gear_2.dxf". Number 1 is then the archive version and number 2 the current version.

Open it and all info's are available ...

Husky_2023_02_06-01.png
Husky_2023_02_06-01.png (51.31 KiB) Viewed 7081 times

If you need more and advanced file revision monitoring for your files there are tons of program out there which will do that task flawless. Mine is checking my files every 30 seconds for attributes, sizes, last write-time and File creation-time. If something has changed it will be frozen in time.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

DaleEltoft

Re: Suggestion: Save With TimeStamp

Post by DaleEltoft » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:29 am

You totally missed the point. It's not that I'm so clueless that I don't know how to change a file name or where to fine the date & time. The point is to be able to create a version file as easy as simply clicking Save. I chose using the date-time as a trivial form of a version number rather than burdening QCAD with complex logic to manage a versioning system which is not its purpose.

This is a suggestion for the working smarter not harder not a how to question.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”