Automatic focus on command line

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

kosmi
Registered Member

Automatic focus on command line

Post by kosmi » Wed May 17, 2023 9:47 am

I don't understand why command line needs to be activated with space bar. I have some experience from autocad and draftsight and command line is active there by default, which makes much more sense to me.
I have briefly tested keyboard and from start position keys have no functions assigned, so that shouldn't be a problem. It may be switchable in settings (space bar/always on) if you prefer that.
I would like to see more data input via command line as well, like offset distance, radius for circle etc. Again it may be just because of my previous experience, but I found it works much faster that searching for text box with mouse pointer on the other edge of the screen.

Thank you
Paul

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Automatic focus on command line

Post by CVH » Thu May 18, 2023 6:25 am

kosmi wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:47 am
I have some experience from autocad and draftsight and command line is active there by default, which makes much more sense to me.
Paul, please remind that QCAD is not intended to be an ACAD clone.
kosmi wrote:
I have briefly tested keyboard and from start position keys have no functions assigned, so that shouldn't be a problem
When you start typing QCAD will lookout for known 2 key shortcut sequences (or 3 keys in some cases).
Typing key 'L' and then 'I' will almost always initiate the 'Line from 2 Points' tool, wherever the cursor is pointing.
All common key-in shortcuts are listed here:
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/archives/sho ... uts_en.pdf
Many basic tools will list the 2 key shortcut sequence also as command so that you can initiate them just the same by the command line.
See Application Preferences .. General .. Tool Settings

But not all tools do and there is an end to which 2/3 key combinations that remain unassigned.
You don't see me entering 'lineorthogonaltangent' nor 'orthotangent' in the command line.
I would type 'LN' or simply initiate the tool with a single click on its tool button.

Then again, I hardly use the Command Line except for entering distinct coordinates.
It is called a Graphical User Interface (GUI) for something.
Maybe it is time to start using the mouse instead of using the keyboard.
kosmi wrote:
I would like to see more data input via command line as well, like offset distance, radius for circle etc.
These things are usually tool options that one can define in the Option Toolbar.
One can change the focus to the Option Toolbar with Ctrl+Space.
The first value field will get the focus.

Regards,
CVH

kosmi
Registered Member

Re: Automatic focus on command line

Post by kosmi » Fri May 19, 2023 12:19 pm

Thank you for command sheet - very useful.
I wasn't aware that it's listening, as nothing pops up in command line. Without focusing on command line I could as well give it more parameters for object without clicking on top of the screen, which I was looking for. That makes my life much easier.
Keyboard is my friend, I work few times faster with it than mouse and efficiency is important to me. You may call me old dated on that.

Thank you

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”