New Offset tools ...

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

New Offset tools ...

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:33 am

Hi,

I'm not sure what I have to expect from the new Offset tolls - but it just seems to me that they are not working as expected.

First of all: What is now the difference between Offset (OQ) and Offset with distance (Of)?

My feeling is that I should have some kind of preview at both tools because I have a "Verify result" Button? I'm wrong?

And the "Offset through point" (LG) tool with "Whole Polyline" works not on a Polyline. I can't define a target point. Lines are working and a target point is not a problem.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: New Offset tools ...

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:56 am

Husky wrote:First of all: What is now the difference between Offset (OQ) and Offset with distance (Of)?
Nothing. Draw > Polyline > Offset is still there for backwards compatibility. If removed, users will be upset (where is that tool gone, functionality has been removed, etc).
My feeling is that I should have some kind of preview at both tools because I have a "Verify result" Button? I'm wrong?
Previewing polyline offsets is not possible at the moment. The reason is that a polyline might be very complex and a preview therefore very slow. Partial previews are not possible because the partial polyline might offset very differently than the whole polyline.

The verify button verifies the offset polyline for errors. Especially when using rounded edges, errors occur. Usually these errors are marginal, but for some usage (e.g. CAM processing) such errors might be relevant.
And the "Offset through point" (LG) tool with "Whole Polyline" works not on a Polyline. I can't define a target point. Lines are working and a target point is not a problem.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:10 pm

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Thanks Andrew for explanation. :)
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:38 am

This should be fixed in QCAD 3.9.1:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3376

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:53 pm

andrew wrote:This should be fixed in QCAD 3.9.1:
Yes - now it works like a charm. Thanks! :)

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”