Message for Andrew

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

algrass

Message for Andrew

Post by algrass » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:18 am

Can I bring to your attention my feeling about QCAD after becoming a user for the last two or three weeks approximately and used it intensively on some 2D geometric figures I am drawing?

My conclusion is that the program, attractive as it may be, is QCAD centric rather than user centric. What I mean is that quite often I get distracted in finding how to do things with QCAD even with I being a user familiar to CAD programs. I honestly have used different 2D and 3D CAD packages from time to time over the last 45 years or so. Apart from Autocad, with which I am most intimate, I have used Turbocad, Intellicad, Archicad version 8, Design Cad and others; all old programs now but I adapted to them quickly and almost hassle-free.

QCAD is defeating me. Granted, I have not read the user manual, mainly because it lacks descriptive information, no criticism implied, but nonetheless I think I am mature enough to work it out for myself as I know how CAD entities work. Take the example of the latest question I posted today on editing layers' attributes. I believe I should not have to raise such a question. If I do and there is a quick fix somewhere already, then the matter has to be addressed at programming level making the program more user centric.

As it stands I am becoming irritated by the distraction I continue to find when obvious commands do not seem to operate functionally as expected; again I am referring to the layers attributes, or the way to force, to mention another example, the scale tool command to move orthogonally. In so doing, instead of concentrating on my work I am distracted and forced to think how QCAD's obvious commands work or find a workaround. This is distracting and leads to poor efficiency of Cad design. A Cad program must be productive above all.

Sincerely and by the way, absit iniuria verbis, i.e. paraphrasing, do not read malice in my comments. Take it as a statement that a user loves your program and wants to like it even more.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Message for Andrew

Post by andrew » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks for your feedback. I completely understand that different users have different expectations, different ways of working and different habits. If there's one thing I'm explicitly not trying to do with QCAD then it's trying to please everybody. I believe QCAD offers an effective balance between being user friendly and powerful. Perhaps, you're simply expecting too much from a software that is specifically designed to be NOT 'too much'?
Take the example of the latest question I posted today on editing layers' attributes
It could be a bug, it could be a usage problem. I couldn't comment on this without looking at the drawing file.
A Cad program must be productive above all.
Agreed. Take me for example. I sincerely cannot do much more than drawing a simple line from A to B using Autocad. Now I have to admit I never even attempted anything more advanced like printing a drawing with it... You've used Autocad for 45 years, but let me ask you how productive did it feel after two to three weeks of using it? You're essentially saying: I've used Autocad, I should be able to master any CAD. This is very likely true for all Autocad clones out there and there are plenty. Please keep in mind that QCAD is very much intentionally by design NOT Autocad and most users appreciate exactly that about QCAD :)

linnemann
Newbie Member

Post by linnemann » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi

Not do discard algrass.

I have the completely opposite feel about Autocad and Qcad.

Coming from Autocad, but wanted something less bloated.

The first week was a little tough, but after getting over that initial "Well this is different".
I can honestly say I'm more productive with Qcad than I was with Autocad.

Granted I do most of our drawings in 3D cad (Geomagic Design) and mostly use Qcad for prototyping and installation drawings.

The continuous development and improvement of Qcad is just a big win for me.

My only gripe right now is the horrible speed of the library list.
I hope Andrew can address this sometime he gets the time, maybe switching to SQL (is it sql?) or something similar to store the library and just have the user manually update the library.

The slowness is mostly from scanning the path with the drawings.
I've tried all the options in the library section but does not increase speed.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks for your feedback linnemann.
linnemann wrote:My only gripe right now is the horrible speed of the library list.
What exactly is slow on your installation (updating the index, searching for items, the display, ...)?

If you are referring to the synchronisation when QCAD is started, you can switch that off (and opt to sync manually) under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Widgets > Library Browser > Update search index on startup
I hope Andrew can address this sometime he gets the time, maybe switching to SQL (is it sql?) or something similar to store the library and just have the user manually update the library.
The search index is stored in an SQL DB indeed, yes.
The slowness is mostly from scanning the path with the drawings.
Yes, there is no shortcut to scanning all files in a directory tree. If your data is on a network share, that will further slow down the update process a lot.
I've tried all the options in the library section but does not increase speed.
If your library changes a lot and you need to update often, you might want to consider using your favorite file browser (Finder, Explorer, etc.) as part library browser instead. You can drag and drop any DXF, DWG or SVG file or even a URL or link from am Internet browser into the drawing area to insert the contents of that file as a new block.

linnemann
Newbie Member

Post by linnemann » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:59 am

Hi Andrew
What exactly is slow on your installation (updating the index, searching for items, the display, ...)?

If you are referring to the synchronisation when QCAD is started, you can switch that off (and opt to sync manually) under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Widgets > Library Browser > Update search index on startup
I know this, but if my library updates I have to switch on-off that setting and restart Qcad two times.
A button under the library list that could update the library manually would be a nicer way to do it.
Yes, there is no shortcut to scanning all files in a directory tree. If your data is on a network share, that will further slow down the update process a lot.
It is on a network share since we can be more users using the parts.
If your library changes a lot and you need to update often, you might want to consider using your favorite file browser (Finder, Explorer, etc.) as part library browser instead. You can drag and drop any DXF, DWG or SVG file or even a URL or link from am Internet browser into the drawing area to insert the contents of that file as a new block.
That could be an option.

I have not looked at the implementation of the scanning code, but from the speed I think there could be another implementation that improves the speed.
eg. there could be a background process (thread) that runs on startup (of qcad) that updates the SQL database in the background if changes are detected to the search path.

It is not something that is a deal breaker, but definitely something that will make the library browser snappier.

Best
Niels

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:33 am

linnemann wrote:I know this, but if my library updates I have to switch on-off that setting and restart Qcad two times.
No, you can update manually without restarting.
linnemann wrote:A button under the library list that could update the library manually would be a nicer way to do it.
Yes! And indeed, there it is :D (bottom right of the library browser window):
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 10.32.34.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 10.32.34.png (60.5 KiB) Viewed 12459 times

linnemann
Newbie Member

Post by linnemann » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:55 pm

Yes! And indeed, there it is :D (bottom right of the library browser window):
Well stupid me :-)

Although you hid that button away nicely there at the bottom corner, my eyes haven't even drifted that way :-)

/Niels

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”