Tool selection and toolbars

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

0xdeadbeef

Tool selection and toolbars

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:29 am

First of all: I don't want to sound negative, I really love QCAD. Without QCAD, I would have never ventured into the world of CAD applications because all the others I tried drove me crazy.
This being said, there are still two things in QCad which continue to annoy me, so please bare with me if they were discussed before.

1) If you select a line tool, draw a line, click right once to end the line, you're a still in line mode. That's fine.
Now if you want to change to circle mode by clicking the circle tool icon, the mode jumps back to line mode and
instead of showing the circle tools, the context sensitive tool bar on the left shows the same entries as in line mode again.
Actually it needs one more right click to enter select mode and only then the circle tools are displayed.
I know this, I'm aware of this and still it annoys and confuses me all the time. IMHO this is quite the opposite of intuitive.
If I click an icon to draw a circle, my intention is pretty much clear: I want to draw a circle. I don't want to go back to the mode I was in.

2) While the concept of "clipped" tool bars is a good thing in principal, I have the impression that they somehow change all the time.
E.g. even though I don't change either the main window nor re-arrange tool bars, sometimes the "cut segment" icon is visible and sometimes it isn't.
Again searching for icons that move and re-arrange on their own is something that drives me crazy and I wished there was a better solution for this.
In any way, I'd like better control of the icons displayed. If there is no way of freezing the clipped state of toolbars, I wonder if it would be possible to implement a tool selection for each toolbar.
Like just a list of the icons that are available in the toolbar and you can select on/of for each.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Tool selection and toolbars

Post by andrew » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:49 am

0xdeadbeef wrote:1) If you select a line tool, draw a line, click right once to end the line, you're a still in line mode. That's fine.
Now if you want to change to circle mode by clicking the circle tool icon, the mode jumps back to line mode and
instead of showing the circle tools, the context sensitive tool bar on the left shows the same entries as in line mode again.
Actually it needs one more right click to enter select mode and only then the circle tools are displayed.
I know this, I'm aware of this and still it annoys and confuses me all the time. IMHO this is quite the opposite of intuitive.
If I click an icon to draw a circle, my intention is pretty much clear: I want to draw a circle. I don't want to go back to the mode I was in.
I've created a bug report at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1334
0xdeadbeef wrote:2) While the concept of "clipped" tool bars is a good thing in principal, I have the impression that they somehow change all the time.
E.g. even though I don't change either the main window nor re-arrange tool bars, sometimes the "cut segment" icon is visible and sometimes it isn't.
Again searching for icons that move and re-arrange on their own is something that drives me crazy and I wished there was a better solution for this.
In any way, I'd like better control of the icons displayed. If there is no way of freezing the clipped state of toolbars, I wonder if it would be possible to implement a tool selection for each toolbar.
Like just a list of the icons that are available in the toolbar and you can select on/of for each.
This is entirely handled by Qt and known to be broken. I'd recommend against arranging tool bars in such a way that not all tools are visible. You can switch off some buttons instead in preferences.

0xdeadbeef

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Wait, you already fixed #1 e_surprised ?
Big thumbs up!

pmcstoneinc
Newbie Member

Post by pmcstoneinc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:26 am

Hey Ox you will find that Andrews support is 2nd to none. It gets implemented pretty fast.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”