Zooming using scroll wheel

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

shale
Registered Member

Zooming using scroll wheel

Post by shale » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:26 pm

First let me thank you Andrew for your hard work - QCAD is a great program which I find myself using most of the time even though I also have access to several other expensive cad programs. One thing I really do like about another cad program (and find myself missing highly when using QCad), is that when using the mouse wheel to zoom, the screen will automatically center to the location where the mouse was left clicked and zoom about that point. Maybe it is just my working style, but I find that I usually end up having to drag the view afterwards which adds an extra step to the process.

My two cents for your consideration... :D

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Zooming using scroll wheel

Post by andrew » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:50 pm

QCAD zooms in / out around the current location of the mouse cursor when using the mouse wheel. For example, to zoom in on a drawing detail, move the mouse cursor on top of that detail, then scroll the mouse wheel. This way, you shouldn't have to pan after zooming. I hope that helps. Otherwise, please outline in more detail how such a feature would work step by step. Thanks.

shale
Registered Member

Post by shale » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks for the reply Andrew,

To clarify:

When using QCad and performing the scrolling operation the program (as soon as wheel begins to turn) does the following:
1. zooms in/out about the selection

When using other the program does (as soon as wheel begins to turn) the following:
1. moves selection to center of screen
2. zooms in/out about the selection

So when zooming in, this puts what I am focusing on right in the middle of the work area instead of off to the side. It sounds like a small difference but I find that I really miss it...

keithwins

Post by keithwins » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Interesting: I've used so many drawing programs I didn't immediately notice this. I just overcompensate, positioning the mouse such that scrolling brings my target in to the center. But I've used programs that do it the other way too. I've gotten so used to both I'm not sure I have a preference.

J-J

Post by J-J » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 pm

QCAD zooms in / out around the current location of the mouse cursor when using the mouse wheel
In fact, this is one feature I like in Qcad, I put the mouse where I want to zoom which saves from having to drag the screen. I guess everyone has his own habits and preferences :!:
JJ Win7 pro-64

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:57 pm

keithwins wrote:... But I've used programs that do it the other way too. I've gotten so used to both I'm not sure I have a preference.
In QCAD you can adjust the Zoom direction for the Mouse Wheel below Menu / Edit / Application Preferences:
Husky-2017.01.13-01.png
Husky-2017.01.13-01.png (32.59 KiB) Viewed 11024 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

keithwins

Post by keithwins » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Just to be clear, the question isn't about direction of scroll wheel effect. The question is whether the process of zooming recenters the screen to the zoom focal point, or leaves it where it is started on the screen (which QCad does).

dfriasb

Post by dfriasb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:18 pm

I use zoom in and out by keyboard very often. For me the problem is that in this way zoom is always centered in the middle of the screen. Would be great to have the possibilitie of center zoom by keyboard in the pointer as well.

By the way, is anyone using apple magic mouse in qcad?
David Frías Barranco | architect
[email protected] | davidfriasarquitecto.es

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”