saving layer states

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

cccplex

saving layer states

Post by cccplex » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:57 am

Would it be possible to save different layer states? The only thing I'm after is on/off setting of a layer.

I have a lot of layers and am switch off a bunch while drafting. I find the switch all layers off or all on very usefull but then I have to go and turn off again all those layers that are in the way while drafting. Also for printing I could have another set of layers that are on and off?

Other people have this workflow and maybe a workaround?
15.6 GiB memory - i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz - GeForce GTX 1650 - Latest Ubuntu

TSG
Premier Member

Re: saving layer states

Post by TSG » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:45 pm

You can put different layers into a group (assign parent layer).
This group can be made invisible/visible by freezing/defreezing (toggle frozen status Y, F)

regards Thomas
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

cccplex

Post by cccplex » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks for the tip. A bit too static for my use. Maybe I'll add a feature request later. e_ugeek
15.6 GiB memory - i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz - GeForce GTX 1650 - Latest Ubuntu

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:40 am

Is implemented, pls add [SOLVED] to your first post title.
Thanks,
CVH

mvf
Registered Member

Post by mvf » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks for implementing this. Great facility, using it already. At the risk of asking for the moon on a stick, allowing a saved layer state to be set for a Layout Block as well as individual viewports would be very useful. These facilities have been suggested in the past, eg (https://www.ribbonsoft.com/rsforum/view ... 0c9#p25006), and the latter can't be achieved manually if different layer sets are required for different viewports in the same Layout Block. Now saved layer states are available, are Layout Block and viewport associated layer states likely to follow?

TyMullis
Newbie Member

Post by TyMullis » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:41 pm

Brand new user of this fantastic program, I am fairly sure I know the answer, but I would like to see if anyone has a better solution to my question.

I prepare site plans quite often and frequently have different plans on the same sheet. For example a small residential lot can fit two or three times on a D plot and I will show the site plan, grading plan and landscaping plan on one sheet. Many of my local Municipalities have minimum sheet size requirements which are relics of days gone by so using smaller sheets is not always an option.

Other than creating a block of the common layer items and duplicating it in model space to add the viewport specific layers to, is there another way to have different layer states in different viewports? I had thought of creating layout blocks that would be exported to pdf and then assembled on the larger sheet in a second program but fear that would be too time consuming to generate a set of construction documents.

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:20 am

Hi,

planing a drawing output is as important as the drawing itself ...

In this case to much details are missing to imagine the best way - but here we go ... :shock:

TyMullis wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:41 pm
I prepare site plans quite often and frequently have different plans on the same sheet. For example a small residential lot can fit two or three times on a D plot and I will show the site plan, grading plan and landscaping plan on one sheet.
All plans with the same scale?

TyMullis wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:41 pm
Other than creating a block of the common layer items and duplicating it in model space to add the viewport specific layers to, is there another way to have different layer states in different viewports? I had thought of creating layout blocks that would be exported to pdf and then assembled on the larger sheet in a second program but fear that would be too time consuming to generate a set of construction documents.
What comes first to mind:
Layout Block / Viewports / Different Layer States? Sounds overkill to me. But you can prove me wrong ...

So far I would suggest ... stay in Model_Space, duplicate the plans and give every plan it own Layer set (Duplicate Layer for that), if a synchronization of the plans is desired create a block of one plan and insert it 3 or 4 times into the D plot. On this way you have only to edit one plan in the Block List and all 3 or 4 copies in Model_Space will adopt the changes.

Layer States? Not necessary with a layer set for each plan but still good to have still that option ...

Second program for assembling a pdf? Not necessary - you can do that all in QCAD Model_Space

An example dxf would be helpful ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:38 pm

I work similarly on process engineering systems.
In a basic plan (e.g. a layout plan), in which all entities that are common to all plans are placed, different layers (e.g. with certain pipes) are shown and / or hidden. I then save the layer constellation under Layer / Layer State / Activate (Yx). Then the different plans can be called up quickly with y1, y2 etc. The title block can also be assigned to a layer status, so that different plans including the title block can be called up ready for printing via the same Paper_Space.
This procedure has proven itself in my practice, as changes only have to be drawn once and are immediately available in all plans.
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

TyMullis
Newbie Member

Post by TyMullis » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:25 pm

Thanks TSG, but I don't think I can solve my problem with layer states. As I understand it, the layer state is global and will be shown in all viewports on the layout.

Husky,
I have attached a dxf. All three viewports are the same scale. All three have layers I wish to only show in their respective viewport.
The site plan has the hatching and dimensions, the drainage plan has the drain text and the landscaping has the landscaping layer.
This is a very basic example, the actual drawing will have multiple layers unique to each viewport. This method works, the only downside is that I will have to view each block with each change to look for conflicts. Or I suppose I could create a fourth block in model space with all of the layers superimposed but I think that would still require copying the unique layers to their respective blocks.

Or could I create blocks of each unique layer set and edit them in a comprehensive collection of blocks which would then update the other three layouts as blocks are edited? I think that might work. I will try that now.

Thanks again for your input and patience.
Ty
Attachments
TyMullis Layer-Viewport question example.dxf
(221.1 KiB) Downloaded 485 times

TyMullis
Newbie Member

Post by TyMullis » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:02 pm

I think this will work for my situation. I have created blocks for each viewport's unique layers and assembled the relevant blocks for each desired layer view for each viewport.

All blocks are assembled in the model space "base drawing" which allows me to see the overall impact of additions or revisions as they are made.

Thanks again,
Ty
Attachments
TyMullis Layer-Viewport question with stacked blocks.dxf
(248.1 KiB) Downloaded 491 times

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”