Dimension text size and arrow for imported drawings, way too small.

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Dacicusan

Dimension text size and arrow for imported drawings, way too small.

Post by Dacicusan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:21 am

I'm working a lot with drawing (dxf, dwg) files created in other softwares, and every time I open them and need to create a new dimension, the dimension text and arrow line are very very small, impossible to read. I need to zoom in a lot just to be able to read the dimension. It is possible to change somehow the behaviour of Qcad so that all the imported files to have a more bigger scale for dimension fonts? I set in preferences under "Dimension settings" text height to 25 units (and "Keep Proportions") but unfortunately this setting don't apply to the files imported. Will be great to have an option to apply this setting also to the imported files.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Dimension text size and arrow for imported drawings, way too small.

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:44 am

Please provide for further investigation a dxf/dwg drawing which shows this issue. Thank you.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:54 am

I just make a quick test file in Rhino, but the same applies to the files imported from other softwares like AutoCAD, etc.
dimension_RhinoExport.dxf
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
dimension_Rhino.png
dimension_Rhino.png (437.49 KiB) Viewed 18205 times
dimension_Qcad.png
dimension_Qcad.png (387.69 KiB) Viewed 18205 times
P.S. I didn't changed any kind of settings for import. This is the default import result.

P.P.S: If I draw a new dimension in Qcad into the imported DXF file the font size of the dimension it is also very very small.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:25 am

Thank you for the example drawing.

The used Unit for this drawing is: None,
Dimension Text hight: 0.18
... and that is why QCAD presents the first time this drawing on this way.

If you like to change that then check below drawing preferences the settings for Dimension and maybe also for Units and adjust the values to that what you need.

To see what happens just change in this example drawing the text hight to 5.0 ... :wink:
Husky-2017.10.13-04.png
Husky-2017.10.13-04.png (38.18 KiB) Viewed 18201 times
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:45 am

Husky wrote:The used Unit for this drawing is: None,
Dimension Text hight: 0.18
... and that is why QCAD presents the first time this drawing on this way.
Yes I know this, but unfortunately this is the way Qcad imports any drawing. It is nothing wrong with the file I posted here. After opening a new file, I need to go every time to Dimension Settings preferences and set manually the desired scale which it is very annoying and time consuming. Imagine that I need to open daily more than 100 files...

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:55 am

Just downloaded the first .dwg file I was able to find on internet and opened in Qcad. I created a dimension line just to check the dimension scale, and it is the same 0.18.

Will be good to have an override Dimension size in preferences when opening new files as the default size (0.18) it is way too small for all my needs.
hyundai accent_dimension.png
hyundai accent_dimension.png (91.6 KiB) Viewed 18198 times
Attachments
hyundaı accent.dwg
(46.89 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
hyundai-accent-2005-model-1.snapshot.2.zip
(357.55 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:58 am

Dacicusan wrote:Just downloaded the first .dwg file I was able to find on internet and opened in Qcad. I created a dimension line just to check the dimension scale, and it is the same 0.18.
It depends on the info which is stored in the drawing ...
Husky-2017.10.13-05.png
Husky-2017.10.13-05.png (39.96 KiB) Viewed 18195 times
https://cdn.thingiverse.com/assets/94/9 ... vanced.dxf
Dacicusan wrote:Will be good to have an override Dimension size in preferences when opening new files as the default size (0.18) it is way too small for all my needs.
Maybe for your needs but think about how much variation out there regarding Drawing Units (in Metric and in Imperial) and Print scales ...
Dacicusan wrote:Imagine that I need to open daily more than 100 files...
Yes, let me imagine that: That means in an 8 hour shift you have not more than 5 min for each drawing to do what with it? :roll:

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:51 am

Husky wrote:
Dacicusan wrote:Yes, let me imagine that: That means in an 8 hour shift you have not more than 5 min for each drawing to do what with it? :roll:
For you it's easy to say, but is is very annoying because I need to do this for every single file I open.

I just made a quick test, opening the very same file without any kind of monification in AutoCAD 2015 and drawing a dimension on the very same spot as I did in Qcad. In AutoCAD the text it is big enough to be able to read the dimension. Please check the difference (Gray dimension = ACAD, Green one = Qcad):
AutoCAD2015.png
AutoCAD2015.png (247.3 KiB) Viewed 18190 times

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:57 am

Husky wrote:It depends on the info which is stored in the drawing ...
Personally I don't think it is reading the stored information. Please check the picture posted above and see how AutoCAD it is handling this situation. The original hyunday_accent.dwg was drawn in DraftSight and unfortunately I can't open right now this drawing in DraftSight to check but I'm quite sure that also in DraftSight the dimension will be much bigger than the ones that are displayed in Qcad. I tested both the Teigha and native Qcad importer and don't seem to have any difference. So, maybe it's a Qcad bug or omission?

I think that will be very handy to have a preference override or something similar to properly scale the dimensions in Qcad when importing dxf-dwg files.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:07 am

Ok, now I'm confused too .... e_confused
... probably on the same way like QCAD!

First of all: The size of this car is impressive!!! I checked the overall length and it tells me it is 4259.87 long. Respect! - That are inches!!!!
Ok, in Foot: 354.99 ... still impressive. :wink:

If I scale down the whole drawing with a 1/25.4 factor then we get a much more realistic measurement: 167.71 inch or 13.98 foot or 4.26 Meter.

Long story short:
This is a scaled drawing. It is 25.4 times bigger than it should be.
It looks like the Author of the drawing has scaled it for a Unit converting reason but forgot to change the Unit ...
... or the other CAD Programs have a feature which supports this kind of scaling and have the ability to deal with it. But they forget to change the Unit too .... :shock:

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 am

Husky wrote:First of all: The size of this car is impressive!!! I checked the overall length and it tells me it is 4259.87 long. Respect! - That are inches!!!!
Ok, in Foot: 354.99 ... still impressive. :wink:
Long story short: This is a scaled drawing. It is 25.4 times bigger than it should be.
Actually it is not a scaled drawing. It is 100% the size of the real car.

I just opened the same "hyunday accent.dwg" file in Rhino for Mac and measured the same dimension as I deed in Qcad and AutoCAD and seems that the measure it is the same, respectively 1416.4413mm. Please check the photos. I didn't scaled anything at import. The black dimension it is the one I made in Rhino.

Rhino_import_settings.png
Rhino_import_settings.png (56.67 KiB) Viewed 18178 times
hyundaı_accent_dwg_Rhino_open.png
hyundaı_accent_dwg_Rhino_open.png (501.6 KiB) Viewed 18178 times
hyundaı_accent_dwg_Rhino_Dimenion.png
hyundaı_accent_dwg_Rhino_Dimenion.png (458.07 KiB) Viewed 18178 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Dacicusan wrote:Actually it is not a scaled drawing. It is 100% the size of the real car.
Ok, I never thought that I would do that but I searched the www for this brand and the car dimensions. They say it has a total length of 4260 mm.

My measurement in QCAD tells me the same figure but it also tells me that the unit is in inches!
Husky-2017.10.15-01.png
Husky-2017.10.15-01.png (40.5 KiB) Viewed 18168 times
My conclusion: The drawing is scaled or the unit is wrong.
Dacicusan wrote:... in Qcad and AutoCAD and seems that the measure it is the same, respectively 1416.4413mm. Please check the photos. I didn't scaled anything at import. The black dimension it is the one I made in Rhino.
However - I have to agree that something looks like to be wrong. My lack of having AC or Rhino lets me just assume that on one or the other side (AC or QCAD) something doesn't work properly but I can't tell which side. Maybe Andrew will have a look at this issue and is able to tell us more.

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Husky wrote:My measurement in QCAD tells me the same figure but it also tells me that the unit is in inches!

Husky-2017.10.15-01.png

My conclusion: The drawing is scaled or the unit is wrong.
Yes, your preference units are wrong! Mines are Drawing and Paper Units = mm and Measurement System = Metric. This way you will get the true dimensions of the drawing.

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 pm

Husky wrote:Ok, I never thought that I would do that but I searched the www for this brand and the car dimensions. They say it has a total length of 4260 mm.
That's correct.
4260.png
4260.png (162.29 KiB) Viewed 18166 times
Husky wrote:... My lack of having AC or Rhino ...
You can evaluate Rhino for 90 days. After 90 days will continue to work but the saving dialog will be disabled.

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Husky wrote:My conclusion: The drawing is scaled or the unit is wrong.
Just change your preference units like mines, Drawing and Paper Units = mm and Measurement System = Metric and after that restart Qcad and reopen the hyunday.dwg file and check again the size.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”