How to outline wall shapes

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

nerdtron
Registered Member

How to outline wall shapes

Post by nerdtron » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 am

I'm using QCAD Pro v3.27.9.0 on Windows 10 64-bit.

I originally created wall shapes in FreeCAD in the Draft workbench. I exported them as DXF and have loaded them into QCAD to switch to using this instead. The closed wall shapes came into QCAD without any fill. I selected them and used the hatch tool to fill them in. I was able to set their color to be "by layer" and then adjust the layer color. That gives the result shown in the attached screenshot.
room.png
room.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
The walls themselves are a gray color. I think it would look better to outline the shapes with black. Any idea how I can do this? I've attached the zip'd file also. This was resaved with R27 DXF from QCAD.
room.zip
(9.97 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

J-J

Re: How to outline wall shapes

Post by J-J » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:04 am

Hi,
Make a separate layer,"walls outline" for example specify color black. Edit the blocks "walls" to locate them on this new layer, set block properties to "by layer"
It is good practice to have different type of entities on dedicated layers, ie thick lines/hatches/dimensions etc
Attachments
wall outline.JPG
wall outline.JPG (37.31 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
JJ Win7 pro-64

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:02 am

nerdtron,

You might want to alter the drawing order after J-J solution so that hatches are behind the outlines.

Regards,
CVH

nerdtron
Registered Member

Post by nerdtron » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:07 pm

J-J wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:04 am
Hi,
Make a separate layer,"walls outline" for example specify color black. Edit the blocks "walls" to locate them on this new layer, set block properties to "by layer"
It is good practice to have different type of entities on dedicated layers, ie thick lines/hatches/dimensions etc
Thanks! That worked! It looks great now!
CVH wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:02 am
You might want to alter the drawing order after J-J solution so that hatches are behind the outlines.
Yes, that was also necessary. With both these suggestions, it's looking as desired. Thanks for the help!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”