run QCAD Pro and Community concurrently?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

tkyler

run QCAD Pro and Community concurrently?

Post by tkyler » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:36 pm

What is a recommended, best-practice way to run QCAD-Pro and Community edition 'side by side', or switch between the two functionalities and not cause license issues with my Pro license?

I am doing a series of training videos (not specifically on QCAD), but where QCAD is part of the software pipeline. I anticipate a significant portion of my target audience using the Community Edition and of course I need to give instruction in that context.

Thx,

TomK

CVH
Premier Member

Re: run QCAD Pro and Community concurrently?

Post by CVH » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:20 pm

TomK,

It doesn't conflict at all, they even share the same configuration file without any problem.

One can install Pro, Trial, Trial converted to CE and CAM side by side in different drive locations.
One can run multiple instances of QCAD with a switch.
QCAD can be installed on a portable drive.
And one can use separate configuration files if that is required.

Bottom line:
Anything goes but remind that multiple instances don't share the same memory and are not aware what the other instances are doing.

Regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:27 pm

tkyler wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:36 pm
What is a recommended, best-practice way to run QCAD-Pro and Community edition 'side by side', or switch between the two functionalities and not cause license issues with my Pro license?
I can't spot a licens issue in this scenario. Pro is payed, CE is free -- no conflict!

Best practice? Don't know - not many have the need to run Pro and CE parallel. Well, I do ... 8)

That said - I run different Qcad versions parallel with the launch switch "allow-multiple-instances". Just check qcad.exe -h for those options.

I assume that will work for you too ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:18 am

TomK,

Also remark that a single Pro or CAM licence is personal. Only intended to be used by you.
I know, nobody is controlling this, it is as if per gentleman's agreement, it is you that agreed with the terms.

Regards,
CVH

tkyler

Post by tkyler » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:20 pm

thanks CVH/Husky.... that is not the case here, this is strictly for "over the shoulder" training videos of using QCAD Community to generate simple drawings as a foundation for follow on 3D modeling in Blender. I develop software for sale also and am quite sensitive to licensing also :)

TomK

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”