Paper page margins?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

BicycleRider
Newbie Member

Paper page margins?

Post by BicycleRider » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi. I just downloaded of the latest version of Q-CAD Pro, and am enjoying it very much. However I'm having a little trouble with the printing function. I have searched the appropriate "How-To" forum but it gave no results...

Is there a way to set the print margins? At the moment I am limited to a paper width of 8.5 inches (216 mm). and your program insists on printing my drawings with a ludicrous 3/4" (19 mm) margin. While this might be fine for very large prints, on a standard desktop printer it is a shameful waste of space. Is there a way to change the printing margin size? I've tried different settings, both on Q-CAD and my printer but still get that :? :x :evil: oversize margin on the print.

Just about every desktop printer these days will let you set the margins, all the way down to "0" (borderless) if desired; It seems rather strange to me that a CAD program that will let you create drawings at literally interstellar scales won't let you set the printout! :shock:

Please HELP

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Paper page margins?

Post by andrew » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Please note that the margins shown in the print preview are most likely not relevant at all for you. QCAD does not enforce any margins (i.e. cut off the drawing) and always prints to the maximum available space. if you are printing to scale (recommended) you are not affected by margins at all. Simply set the scale and position your drawing.

The main purpose of having margins is for printing a drawing on multiple sheets of paper. In this case, the margins allow for an overlap to make sure nothing is lost when stitching or glueing the papers together. These margins can be adjusted as outlined in the printing tutorial step 5:
http://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3317

BicycleRider
Newbie Member

Re: Paper page margins?

Post by BicycleRider » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks Andrew, it worked fine that time. I must have been clicking something wrong before! :oops:

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”