Dimension tool multiplying by 12!

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

BicycleRider
Newbie Member

Dimension tool multiplying by 12!

Post by BicycleRider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:57 pm

I draw an 8 foot long stud, the rulers on the side of the model space screen say it is 8 feet long. I use info (point to point) and it tells me the stud is 8 feet long. everything says that it is 8 feet long. But when I use the dimension tool to draw a dimension line the text on that line says it is 96 feet long! :shock: e_surprised

What am I doing wrong? And more important, how can I fix it? I really don't want to build a ten story high chicken coop!

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Dimension tool multiplying by 12!

Post by andrew » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:07 pm

You've likely set your dimension format to "Architectural" or "Engineering".

These two formats imply that the drawing unit must be inch. If you use one of these formats, your drawing unit is always considered to be inch as far as dimensions are concerned (for best compatibility with other DXF/DWG products). I'd recommend to set your drawing unit to inch. If you want to enter distances in feet, you can use ' as in 10' or 10'6" or 1'6 1/2" etc.

BicycleRider
Newbie Member

Re: Dimension tool multiplying by 12!

Post by BicycleRider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:11 pm

Oh, I wanted inch, and it is set to architectural (inch). What I didn't want was for the dimension line label on an 8 foot 2x3 to read 96 feet. I found out what was wrong on my own though; the scale was set at 1" = 12" in the options area. I guess this is the program's default for some reason.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”