Changes lost

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jackieh

Changes lost

Post by jackieh » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi again
Another day, another problem...
This time, after working for some hours and saving changes every 10 minutes or so, I closed the file to edit the image and then when I reopened it, almost all the work I had done today had been lost. Really not the best start to Christmas.

Any suggestions?

I've attached the file, in case there is anything in that causing the problems.

Looking forward to hearing from you (but don't let it spoil your Christmas).

Jackie
Attachments
~Wall17 W Elev Archaeology Phasing.dxf
This is the one, but I can hardly show you all the lost changes!
(693.24 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

jackieh

Re: Changes lost

Post by jackieh » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:17 pm

For some reason, when I last worked on this file, when it was saved it got a tilda at the front (as I now know, an autosave file), with no file saved without a tilda. So, today, I edited the autosave file, and lost all my work when I closed the file.

Please can you stop me/ others from editing (or manually saving) to a filename starting with tilda, otherwise we lose all our work! I also have no idea why the original file (no tilda) didn't appear after a save.

Thanks, Jackie

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi Jackie,

the only thing what I can imagine is that the image is the troublemaker. Do you need that? If not here is your drawing without image ...
Wall17 W Elev Archaeology Phasing.dxf
(691.46 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Question: The filename of your posted test drawing has a prefixed ~. Usually that is a backup file from QCad and the original file name has not this special character. Could it be that you open the backup files which is usually older than the original file - and that is the reason why you are missing some changed things ....?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Crossed postings ....
jackieh wrote:Please can you stop me/ others from editing (or manually saving) to a filename starting with tilda, otherwise we lose all our work! I also have no idea why the original file (no tilda) didn't appear after a save.
Ok, we narrow down the problem ...
The tilda file is only used for the case of a QCad or system crash. No crash = QCad will delete this file. QCad crash = QCad will ask you to open this backup file.
If you manually open a file with a tilda and then save it without changing the file name QCad thinks that is the correct file name and will autosave the file with a double tilda.
In your case I would search your system for those possible filenames and check then the date of the files. Filter for a File explorer could be
*Wall17 W Elev Archaeology Phasing.dxf
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

jackieh

Post by jackieh » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks folks. I guess at some point qcad must have crashed leaving me the filename with the tilda, which I didn't know that I had to change.

I can at least end the year wiser.

Merry Christmas!

Jackie

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Merry Christmas to you too!

Husky

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”