*Dn population is increasing

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Rtech

*Dn population is increasing

Post by Rtech » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:16 pm

How do I get rid of this?
qcadbug.png
qcadbug.png (22.49 KiB) Viewed 9045 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: *Dn population is increasing

Post by Husky » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Rtech wrote:How do I get rid of this?
That isn't a drawing from QCAD. I assume Draftsigh .....

However - I need the dxf/dwg to tell you more ....
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Rtech

Post by Rtech » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Husky wrote:
Rtech wrote:How do I get rid of this?
That isn't a drawing from QCAD. I assume Draftsigh .....

However - I need the dxf/dwg to tell you more ....
Nope, it IS a QCAD drawing. Everything was created in QCAD from scratch.
I forgot to include the details: QCAD Pro v3.15.2 Win7 64
(EDIT: it's 3.15.2, not 3.15.0)

I deleted the drawings and layers to post it here and somehow the multiplying *Dn "beings" were ...sorted :lol:

Here is the file:
QCAD_DnBUG.dxf
(118.5 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Last edited by Rtech on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Rtech wrote:Nope, it IS a QCAD drawing. Everything was created in QCAD from scratch.
Interesting. Please teach me how to use the unaccepted * Character in a Block Name.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Rtech

Post by Rtech » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:28 am

Husky wrote:
Rtech wrote:Nope, it IS a QCAD drawing. Everything was created in QCAD from scratch.
Interesting. Please teach me how to use the unaccepted * Character in a Block Name.
Simple: None of those *Dn blocks was created by me. They appeared at some point in time in the 2 years I'm working on this project and started to multiply.
After they increased to about 7-8 I copied all blocks to a new document to get rid of them ...or so I thought. Soon they appeared again, and started to multiply (which sounds like horror-science-fiction :lol:). I did that about 3 times and I finally quit trying as it was time consuming, until they increased to the number you saw.

Now, it is possible that I started with a very small initial file from one of my tests with other CAD software before I decide to buy QCAD Pro which might have "contaminated" QCAD Pro, but even so, the appearance and population increase of the "alien" blocks happened in QCAD, the software that you say doesn't accept asterisks in the block name, but still displays them and sorts them, and even starts a new document with two blocks with an asterisk by default, with the same inaccessible behavior like the *Dn blocks.

Therefore, definitely some bugs in the QCAD code cause the creation and maintenance of the mysterious asterisk alien blocks.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:20 am

Hi Rtech,
Rtech wrote:Therefore, definitely some bugs in the QCAD code cause the creation and maintenance of the mysterious asterisk alien blocks.
I don't think so - QCAD doesn't creates Blocks on it own. But maybe you can proof me wrong ... :wink:
Let us try to figure out what is going on with your drawing.
Rtech wrote:... happened in QCAD, the software that you say doesn't accept asterisks in the block name, but still displays them and sorts them, and even starts a new document with two blocks with an asterisk by default, with the same inaccessible behavior like the *Dn blocks.
Forget the default asterisk when you start a new drawing. That is a different story. Try to create a new block "on purpose" with an asterisk - QCAD will ignore that character. I'm not sure about how tolerant QCAD is to import and accept an Asterisk in the Block name from an Third Party drawing ...
Rtech wrote:Simple: None of those *Dn blocks was created by me. They appeared at some point in time in the 2 years I'm working on this project and started to multiply.
My theorie is that you are working on your drawing with Third Party drawings which are used to be imported or used with the clipboard copy/paste function to transfer parts from that drawing into your drawing. Or .... you are using Third Party library's, parts etc.

You ar using Third Party Stuff which is probably not designed with QCAD?

Rtech

Post by Rtech » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Husky wrote:I don't think so - QCAD doesn't creates Blocks on it own.
And yet it does. I've seen it multiple times.
Husky wrote:But maybe you can proof me wrong ... :wink:
Probably I will, but that might take a lot of time, until it happens again (hard to tell with unsorted *Dn blocks) and until I notice what I did exactly before that, but I remember two things when they were just a few:
1. They were always appearing at start up, NOT while I was working.
2. Once I noticed it happened after I copy-pasted internally whole blocks, some with "copy with reference" but I tried a while ago to repeat this on a new document creating a simple drawing (a circle and a line shape filled with a hash) but no alien blocks were created.
My theory is that it happens under certain conditions, with complex drawings and many layers as is the case with my drawings and probably due to something I'm doing that is generally uncommon to the user base.
Husky wrote:My theorie is that you are working on your drawing with Third Party drawings which are used to be imported or used with the clipboard copy/paste function to transfer parts from that drawing into your drawing. Or .... you are using Third Party library's, parts etc.

You ar using Third Party Stuff which is probably not designed with QCAD?
Since I bought QCAD Pro, I uninstalled and deleted all CAD software I had downloaded and tested, as I was new to CAD and I had to concentrate my efforts to learn one program and also I considered everything else on the free or cheap domain less user-friendly. And the work is exclusive mine, so no third party drawings or libraries.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Ok, keep us posted.

Rtech

Post by Rtech » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:08 pm

BUSTED!

It didn't take long after all, I noticed the creation of an identified-asterisk-alien-block out of nowhere and after repeating what I did before I saved, I finally isolated the procedure required to reproduce the bug from scratch.

See the video capture of the procedure (1Mbyte):

[The extension mp4 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

The procedure:

1. open QCAD and create a new document
2. draw 2 lines
3. measure the angle of those lines and let the measurement object there.
4. rotate one of the lines
5. save as a new document
6. close QCAD
7. open the later file and the bug inside QCAD will create a new block for its own reasons! :lol:

The angle measurement is mandatory.

BTW, QCAD Pro v3.15.2 Win7 64
Last edited by Rtech on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Rtech wrote:BUSTED!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting! e_surprised I'm sure Andrew will enlighten us what is going on!

On the other hand I tried to reproduce that on my Win10/64 OS with the actual QCAD Pro 3.16.4 Version. I wasn't successful! The procedure will create the "Defpoints" Layer but nothing more (self created *D1 Block etc.).

We'll see ... :wink:

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:03 am

This is likely related to:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1442

Which was fixed in QCAD version 3.15.4 (2016/06/30).

Rtech

Post by Rtech » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:37 pm

andrew wrote:This is likely related to:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1442

Which was fixed in QCAD version 3.15.4 (2016/06/30).
That's great. Has the creation of additional layouts like shown bellow being addressed too? What about the "Defpoints" produced in layers in the newer versions as has Husky verified?
qcad.png
qcad.png (6.28 KiB) Viewed 8932 times
BTW, I've encountered several more bugs, where can I find release notes for all the previous versions to see what has been fixed in each release?
That will make it easier for me to decide about purchasing the new version.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:41 pm

Rtech wrote:Has the creation of additional layouts like shown bellow being addressed too?
No.
Rtech wrote:What about the "Defpoints" produced in layers in the newer versions as has Husky verified?
The "Defpoints" layer is part of the DXF / DWG format and its automatic creation is intended behaviour.
where can I find release notes for all the previous versions to see what has been fixed in each release?
In the QCAD change log at:
http://www.qcad.org/en/changelog

Rtech

Post by Rtech » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”