[solved] How to adjust the grid snap

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Argos

[solved] How to adjust the grid snap

Post by Argos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Hello

How to adjust the grid snap to allow the exact positioning of two rectangles, as shown in the picture attached.
I also have the problem that the rectangle does not position on points but between
Thank you
Attachments
Sans titre 1.jpg
Sans titre 1.jpg (14.22 KiB) Viewed 6188 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How to adjust the grid snap

Post by Husky » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi,
Argos wrote:Hello

How to adjust the grid snap to allow the exact positioning of two rectangles, as shown in the picture attached.
I don't recommend that but you are able to adjust the grid settings for this drawing in the Drawing Preferences:
Husky-2017.02.13-03.png
Husky-2017.02.13-03.png (96.21 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
I would recommend to use the common snap tools instead of the grid ....
I'll explain it to you but I need to know how the second rectangle is produced:
new drawn?
copy?
mirrored?
insert from the clipboard?

... and this is the goal, correct?
Husky-2017.02.13-04.png
Husky-2017.02.13-04.png (8.75 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Argos

Post by Argos » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:18 am

Hello Husky, I draw for example: two rectangles of 130x4 that I put the one next to the other. All my grids are on automatic, the first rectangle to position it exactly on a point I have to use "free hook" if not impossible to place it correctly. The second idem I position it manually.
Is it possible to reduce the size of a drawing by two and to be able to keep the actual quotations?

... and this is the goal, correct? : yes is correct

Matfie

Post by Matfie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:03 am

I think you have a conceptual error .. perhaps this will help. Obviously, it is not possible to place a rectangle on a point since the rectangle is bigger than the point. What you are doing is picking up the rectangle with a handle and placing that handle on the point!

So, if you need to place objects in specific places, you must find a way to pick the object up by a handle such that when you put the handle down, the object will be in the place that you wish it to be. If you wish a specific point of an object is aligned with something else, then pick up the object with the handle aligned that point and then drop it at the point you want it aligned to.

If it sounds nonsense, then try it .. select the object, and use the Modify->Move tool. The first thing that QCAD wants you to do is select your Reference Point (this is your handle) .. you can use auto snap to snap to an intersection or corner or whatever you like. Then the object has been picked up and follows the cursor around.QCAD now wants the Target Point which you can put the object down on the grid, or aligned with another intersection somewhere else. Finally QCAD asks if you want to move or copy, so select move and click ok and you should find your obect aligned where you wanted it.

Argos

Post by Argos » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Great, it works, a big thank you to all of you for your advice.
Have a good day

Argos

Re: [solved] How to adjust the grid snap

Post by Argos » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Oops, how to do the same operation by selecting a sketch consisting of several layers. When I pull a handle on this sketch it is the point of the handle that only moves? Thank you

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:49 am

Argos wrote:Oops, how to do the same operation by selecting a sketch consisting of several layers. When I pull a handle on this sketch it is the point of the handle that only moves? Thank you
The Layer count/hierarchy doesn't matter to use Reference points.

1. Reference points are the blue and red points that are shown when an entity is selected. This concept allows you to modify entities or use them for drag and drop operations. This is what confused you ... :wink:
Husky-2017.02.14-01.png
Husky-2017.02.14-01.png (17.14 KiB) Viewed 6139 times

2. The Reference points chosen by a Snap tools are in many cases much more flexible regarding to that what you need to accomplish but they are not meant to modify a shape. After choosing a Reference Point with a Snap tool a small red circle with a cross will indicate the chosen point.
This is what you need ... :wink:

This screenshot shows a rectangle which needs do be copied to the end of a line. Important for me is in this example that the connection is precisely at the middle of the left vertical line of the rectangle.
Husky-2017.02.14-04.png
Husky-2017.02.14-04.png (13.42 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
How?
Selection of the rectancle,
launch Move/Copy tool,
Snap to the middle of the left vertical rectangle line (= determing the Reference Point for this manoever)
Snap to the right end of the Targeting line - done,

Snap tools are very important for a CAD drawing. It is good to teach yourself which are in QCAD available ...
Husky-2017.02.14-05.png
Husky-2017.02.14-05.png (54.26 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Argos

Post by Argos » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:06 am

Hello Husky, thank you for these detailed explanations, Qcad is very interesting but not always obvious to control.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”