Open multiple windows in Linux

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

massimo

Open multiple windows in Linux

Post by massimo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:43 am

Hi, how do I open multiple windows? I often work on multiple files. I don't explicity need separate processes. I know there is -allow-multiple-instances.
Actually this is the same discussion that have been for some years on Gimp. For today you can configure if you like the main window embeddeding all windows or separate windows. On Linux and especially on multi-screen desktops it is always preferrable to have multiple windows because this is a job for the window manager to manage. That's why it has that name. Having a qcad embedding window manager is useless.

On multiple screens I need to have multiple windows for the screens. The only way for now is to scale the main window over multiple screens and arrange the subwindows manually. But having different screen resolutions is another annoyance then.
Community Version 3.28.2.0, Gentoo Linux on amd64

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Open multiple windows in Linux

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:24 pm

This is not supported by QCAD at this point.

You can use -allow-multiple-instances to launch multiple QCAD processes but you might run into troubles when using the library browser which accesses a file based database.

massimo

Post by massimo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Many applications are doing it like this, having only one central instance running. But they are still able to open additional windows, like Firefox, Palemoon, Evolution, Gimp etc.

QCad should at least provide to open a new window that I can move to additional monitors. This becomes important when dealing with multiple files and copying blocks between.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:57 pm

massimo

Post by massimo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:26 pm

massimo

Post by massimo » Wed May 31, 2017 7:32 am

I noticed all widgets and toolbars are detachable as stand-alone windows, only without task bar entry. Currently I'm using one of my 3 screens for toolbars only. Why can't QCad windows itself be detachable and movable from the main app? This alone would make it possible to detach a window and move it to another screen in order to see more than one drawing at the same time.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”