[solved] Changing MM to Inches

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ZellisE82

[solved] Changing MM to Inches

Post by ZellisE82 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:39 pm

For some reason MM won't change to inches even though it's set up properly in the Application preferences and the Drawing preferences. Am I overlooking something? My understanding is that it's supposed to take effect once I change the settings and open a new file, yeah? I understand it won't influence my current drawing.

Using WIndows 10 with QCAD Pro.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attached photos just in case.
11.png
11.png (182.68 KiB) Viewed 7926 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (179.47 KiB) Viewed 7926 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Changing MM to Inches

Post by andrew » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:50 pm

The unit you set up has no visible effect on your drawing. It simply means that one "drawing unit" is now meant to be one Inch.

Perhaps you are trying to change the number format? You can find that under Edit > Drawing Preferences > Dimension > Dimension Settings > Label Format > Linear Dimensions > Format.

ZellisE82

Post by ZellisE82 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Ah. I'm trying to change the ruler up top from MM to inches. Is there a simple way to do this? Thanks again.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:23 pm

The rulers show "drawing units". It is entirely up to you as the user to interpret a drawing unit. In that sense, QCAD (and CAD in general) is unitless.

The drawing unit configured in the drawing preferences affects scaling when printing to scale and is also used to convert measurements when copying entities between drawings with different units.

So in short: if you've set up your drawing unit as "Inch", you can be confident that the rulers, the dimensions and the coordinate display are all showing "Inches".

ZellisE82

Post by ZellisE82 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:06 pm

I figured it out. I needed to switch my label format to "Architectural" for it to display Inches instead of MM.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:12 pm

ZellisE82 wrote:I figured it out.
Glad to hear that.
ZellisE82 wrote:I needed to switch my label format to "Architectural" for it to display Inches instead of MM.
Just for clarification and prevention of further confusing in the future.
If your setting for Drawing Unit is Imperial (inch etc.) then the ruler will always show imperial figures. You are able do change the displayed Format of those figures below "Label Format" but that will only change the Format and never the used Unit from Imperial (inch etc.) to Metric (mm etc.) and vice versa.
ZellisE82 wrote:... to display Inches instead of MM.
Long story short: It was displayed Imperial (Inches) and it is still displayed Imperial - just the Format of the displayed figures has changed.

Imperial example for the SAME Number in different formats:
1' 1" 7/64
13" 7/64
1.092448 foot
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ZellisE82

Re: [solved] Changing MM to Inches

Post by ZellisE82 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Thank you for the explanation! You are very knowledgeable.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”