how to select specific points

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jamby

how to select specific points

Post by jamby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 pm

Sorry if this has been covered before. But I have a drawing with lots of construction points and also several lines. If I use "Selection Filter" and set it for points a window stretched over the whole drawing highlights all the points. Meaning the end points of the lines as well as the construction points. I'd like to be able to set something that would allow selection of just the points not on the end of lines.

Hope this isn't to nebulas
Jim

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: how to select specific points

Post by Husky » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi Jim,
jamby wrote:If I use "Selection Filter" and set it for points a window stretched over the whole drawing highlights all the points. Meaning the end points of the lines as well as the construction points.
Selection Filter / Points should only catch points:
Husky-2017.07.19-09.png
Husky-2017.07.19-09.png (15.23 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
You are able to attach the drawing or an example drawing of this behavior?

Edit:
jamby wrote:Meaning the end points of the lines as well as the construction points.
Question: Could it be that points are used to determine the start and end point of a line? If yes you can delete the points and the line will stay ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

jamby

Post by jamby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:00 am

Husky

I may have found the problem. Andrew gave me a copy of a "Note that this is a snapshot release, not an official package". And that was where I was working. But now with the file loaded into 3.17.5.0 it works much differently and is probably as it was meant to be.
There is a notification from you also and I will follow that link and see how it was suppose to work.

Thanks for answering
JIm

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:04 am

jamby: I cannot reproduce any such problem with the snapshot release. As always, can you please attach or e-mail your drawing file? Thanks.

jamby

Post by jamby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:19 pm

well this appears to be another case of "Operator Error" or misuse of a feature.

I get the results i wanted by having only points appearing in the "selection filter" panel. Then dragging a selection window around the whole drawing then pressing the bottom right icon in the panel, the "intersect with the current section" icon, and only the points I want to delete will remain highlighted. While before all points will be highlighted.

Thanks
Jim

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 pm

My understanding of this situation is that you are looking to delete ALL Points scattered all over the drawing, correct?
jamby wrote:Then dragging a selection window around the whole drawing then pressing the bottom right icon in the panel, the "intersect with the current section" icon, and only the points I want to delete will remain highlighted.
Here is how I would try to accomplish this task:
We're talking about ALL points in the WHOLE drawing what means we don't need a pre-selection at all or at any time!
Then I would use the Selection Filter - set to find points ...
Husky-2017.07.20-03.png
Husky-2017.07.20-03.png (61.55 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
... next step would be to chose the kind of selection - I use the bottom left button which is called "Replace the current selection" ...

Husky-2017.07.20-02.png
Husky-2017.07.20-02.png (61.88 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
... click ... delete ... done!

jamby wrote:well this appears to be another case of "Operator Error" or misuse of a feature.
I don't think so!
The tool title "Replace the current selection" is for me confusing too.
Fact is that you don't need a selection if your goal is to use the Selection Filter on the whole drawing.
You need only a pre-selection to limit the search of a certain area in your drawing and that isn't here the case.

Maybe you like to test it by yourself. However - work on the way what ever fits best to your personal workflow. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”