PDF export via Print (printer) in .js is 4 ~ 5 times bigger than by hand exported PDF.

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

GnrlSchnavy
Newbie Member

PDF export via Print (printer) in .js is 4 ~ 5 times bigger than by hand exported PDF.

Post by GnrlSchnavy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi,

So to save myself a lot of work I created a script that takes in an x amount of .DWG's, applies some very elementary operations on it and then exports it to .PDF. It works near perfect but there is one thing that I keep running into, namely the fact that the exported PDF's via the script are 4 ~ 5 times larger in size than when I would do a PDF export with exactly the same offsets, sizes etc, by hand. Example a .dwg of around size 2.6MB exports to around a 2.9MB PDF when I do it via the QCAD interface but when I do it via my script it exports to a 16 MB (!!) PDF. This is soo big compared to the other PDF.
I have the offsets, paper hieght, width and scale exactly the same in both exports.

Are there other things that can make a significant difference in the filesize of the exported PDF? As far as I can tell here now the exports are besides one being done via GUI and the other via script identical.

Thanks in advance,

Yvan

andrew
Site Admin

Re: PDF export via Print (printer) in .js is 4 ~ 5 times bigger than by hand exported PDF.

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:43 pm

When exporting using the QCAD GUI, are you using File > PDF Export or File > Print > Save as PDF or similar? In the latter case, the PDF export is done by the operating system (macOS) or an installed PDF printer driver (Windows / Linux) which could yield a different result than using the PDF export of QCAD.

GnrlSchnavy
Newbie Member

Re: PDF export via Print (printer) in .js is 4 ~ 5 times bigger than by hand exported PDF.

Post by GnrlSchnavy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Hmm, both ways of printing via the GUI you mention yield the same filesize pdf. Both way smaller than the pdf file created using the script :shock:. Even with very few layers on while printing from the script vs. all layers on while printing in the GUI, the GUI pdf is still way smaller :shock:.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:39 pm

OK.

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this problem here with local files (using QCAD vs. dwg2pdf).

If you can provide a DXF/DWG file, I can try to reproduce with these, or you can try that locally using QCAD vs. dwg2pdf.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”