Some advice for a beginner

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jsm25
Registered Member

Some advice for a beginner

Post by jsm25 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Please forgive me if this is silly question but I am completely new to Qcad and CAD drawings for that matter the last time I produce a drawing was with paper and pen on the drawing board.

I am producing architectural drawings so scaling them at 1:50 or 1:100.

There are a few things which are still bugging me:

1) line types - if I select a different line type to continuous such as the centreline or.construction line I just see a continuous line it's never showing the correct spacing.

2) every time I dimension a drawing it's too small to see and I have to adjust the sizing in the preferences is anyway to fix this as I'm always using scale drawings so be good to be to set some defaults.

3) I think of worked out how to have a title block in the library and then import it into the drawing as a block. If am working at a scale of say 1 to 50 and then have to resize it by 50. I'm okay with this and it works fine. What do I do if I need to change the scale to 1:75?

I'm sure there are many other tips and tricks which would help you produce architectural drawings at the scale. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Operating system: Windows 10
Qcad pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Some advice for a beginner

Post by Husky » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Hello jsm25 - welcome to the forum.
jsm25 wrote:,,, the last time I produce a drawing was with paper and pen on the drawing board.
Excellent! That means you already know the drawing basics .... :wink:
jsm25 wrote:1) line types - if I select a different line type to continuous such as the centreline or.construction line I just see a continuous line it's never showing the correct spacing.
Below Menu / View is a command called "Screenbased Linetypes". Is that activated?
jsm25 wrote:2) every time I dimension a drawing it's too small to see and I have to adjust the sizing in the preferences is anyway to fix this as I'm always using scale drawings so be good to be to set some defaults.
You can preset the text hight below Edit / Drawing preferences / Dimension: Dimension Settings
If you work in Metric / mm you can put in 3.5 what means that a 1:1 scaled print has a 3.5 mm Dimension text hight.
If you intent to scale your printing to 1:50 or 1:75 then this value has to be 50 or 75 times bigger = 3.5x50 or 3.5x75.
jsm25 wrote:3) I think of worked out how to have a title block in the library and then import it into the drawing as a block. If am working at a scale of say 1 to 50 and then have to resize it by 50. I'm okay with this and it works fine. What do I do if I need to change the scale to 1:75?
Note: Your drawing should always be drawn in 1:1! Scaling of the drawing is part of the print job!
Your title block / frame should also be drawn and saved in 1:1. Scaling is then part of the insert task regarding to the intended print scale!
e.g. you will print your drawing in 1:50 then you have to insert the title block 50 times bigger ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

jsm25
Registered Member

Re: Some advice for a beginner

Post by jsm25 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive answers it's really got me working and I am enjoying using qcad. I'm sure I've got lots more to learn keep posting.

Thank you again for your assistance

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”