How do I transfer line thickness when scaling + how do I get the right size when printing?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ixandra2012
Registered Member

How do I transfer line thickness when scaling + how do I get the right size when printing?

Post by ixandra2012 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Hello,

I have designed a few logos (geometric 2D-Designs) with QCAD Pro and I have 2 Problems:

1)The outer shape of every logo is a circle. How do I print it on A4 paper with exact radius of 18cm? Even if I scale it to radius 18cm and use scaling 1:1 it is always 2 or 3cm bigger

2)When I scale a logo with outer circle 8cm to outer circle 18cm, how can I keep the thickness of the lines to maintain those proportions too? My logo with the 8cm is made from 2mm thick lines and it looks really awkward when scaled to 18cm, because the lines look so thin now.

Thanks a lot already,
Regards
IX

andrew
Site Admin

Re: How do I transfer line thickness when scaling + how do I get the right size when printing?

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:32 pm

ixandra2012 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm
1)The outer shape of every logo is a circle. How do I print it on A4 paper with exact radius of 18cm? Even if I scale it to radius 18cm and use scaling 1:1 it is always 2 or 3cm bigger
For all support requests, please:
- indicate the operating system you are using and the version thereof (e.g. Windows 10 32bit, Windows 8.1 64bit, Ubuntu 14.2 64bit, macOS 10.12, etc.)
- indicate the exact version of QCAD you are using (see Help > About or QCAD > About QCAD or indicate the name of the file you have downloaded and installed)
- attach original drawing files (DXF, DWG, ...) if appropriate
- attach exported files (SVG, PNG, PDF, ...) if appropriate
- include screenshots if appropriate
ixandra2012 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm
2)When I scale a logo with outer circle 8cm to outer circle 18cm, how can I keep the thickness of the lines to maintain those proportions too? My logo with the 8cm is made from 2mm thick lines and it looks really awkward when scaled to 18cm, because the lines look so thin now.
In CAD, a 2mm line is a 2mm line, regardless of scaling.

If you need line weight to scale with geometry, you'd have to create a filled area instead. I.e. draw the inner circle and outer circle, select both and use Draw > Hatch with solid fill to fill the space between.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”