How to draw a tool path

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

mlwoy

How to draw a tool path

Post by mlwoy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:03 pm

When I create a drawing I would like to have one layer for defining the tool path for a burning machine. The burning machine program accepts DFX file format drawings. My question is : when I save that drawing and it has multiple layers, how do I tell the burning machine program to use a certain layer?
I have drawn patterns before in another program and only put the toolpath on the drawings so the machine did not have anything else to deal with and that worked.

I am sure that in the indurstry complete drawing files are provide to produce parts. How does the machine know what layers to use and what to not to use?

Is there a setting in the CAD program which directs the CAM program to know what layers to use and what to disregard?

Version 3.21.2 Qcad
Windows 7

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How to draw a tool path

Post by Husky » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi mlwoy - welcome to the QCAD Forum,
mlwoy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:03 pm
Is there a setting in the CAD program which directs the CAM program to know what layers to use and what to disregard?
No, that is a task which has to be done by the CAM program.

Question 1: Will your CAM read invisible and/or locked Layer? If not then you could just switch every layer invisible except the Tool path layer ...
Question 2: Is your burning machine able to read g-code? If yes QCAD is also available with a CAM Module.
https://www.qcad.org/en/products/qcad-cam
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”