Hatch Problems

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Hatch Problems

Post by Husky » Thu May 21, 2020 6:49 pm

Kevinti28 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:26 am
Discovered that if I select an exploded entity, that if it is white, it is duplicated.
If you suspect overlapping entities you can use the alt key and a left mouse click to see and select them.

Husky-2020.05.21-01.png
Husky-2020.05.21-01.png (14.76 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

alan_1_cooper
Newbie Member

Post by alan_1_cooper » Mon May 16, 2022 6:14 pm

Hi

The 51 segment limit seems real to me. I started a new project, drew a rectangle with four simple lines and then drew about 60 lines outside the rectangle, perpendicular to the rectangle sides and touching them. This created a large number of segments around the rectangle edges. Next I tried to fill the rectangle with a hatch patter, which required me to select all the segments and I get as far as 51 and can't select any more segments.

I think QCAD is great but this limit has caused me lots of trouble with archictectural drawings. For example, adding brickwork to a wall when there are a number of windows and other objects complicating the boundaries.

The limit is consistent. Almost like it is coded in deliberately.

Apologies if this is just my not knowing how to use QCAD properly.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon May 16, 2022 7:16 pm

Hi,
alan_1_cooper wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:14 pm
Hi

The 51 segment limit seems real to me. I started a new project, drew a rectangle with four simple lines and then drew about 60 lines outside the rectangle, perpendicular to the rectangle sides and touching them. This created a large number of segments around the rectangle edges. Next I tried to fill the rectangle with a hatch patter, which required me to select all the segments and I get as far as 51 and can't select any more segments.
sorry if I misunderstand this situation but why do you have to select more than 51 segments to hatch a rectangle? 4 would be enough and that is easy to do ...
I've no luck to reproduce the situation. Please attache a dxf/dwg which shows the situation and tell us exactly how to find that limit of 51 segments. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

alan_1_cooper
Newbie Member

Post by alan_1_cooper » Mon May 16, 2022 8:51 pm

Thanks. I've posted a video on YouTube to demonstrate the issue. It can be found here:
https://youtu.be/xIkKZLGw0Jk

After drawing the rectangle and 60 lines touching the edges I try fill the inside of the rectangle with a solid hatch using the "Draw / Hatch / Hatch from segments" menu selection. The type of pattern or whether or not it is solid makes no difference. QCAD asks me to select the segments making up the boundary and I start selecting them round the boundary. On reaching 51 segments I can select no more.

Apologies for the lack of audio. I wasn't sure how to enable it when capturing the screen. I realise that the menu selection can't be seen on the recording either but it is as I mentioned above.

alan_1_cooper
Newbie Member

Post by alan_1_cooper » Mon May 16, 2022 8:58 pm

The solution for this case seems to be to select the boundaries before invoking the Hatch menu selection because, as you say, you can then just select the four sides. I'm not sure if there's a limit on the number of lines that can be selected in this case?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon May 16, 2022 9:12 pm

There's no limit in the number of segments you can select for either tool.

However, there's a limit in what QCAD previews (for performance reasons as previews can be slow).

You can set this limit under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Appearance > Display and Performance > Number of Preview Entities

It appears to be set to 50 on your installation which is rather low.

Having said that, I really don't think it's practical to click 50 segments like that. I'd recommend to create the boundary on a separate layer in any case more complex than a few segments and use the hatch from selection tool instead.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”