[solved] Dashed Lines

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

GrowMate

[solved] Dashed Lines

Post by GrowMate » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 pm

I can't quite work out how to edit and save dashed lines at Layer level so that I can have (for instance) a standard dashed line to depict a fold, and a 'finer' dashed line to depict hidden objects.

I would expect to adjust the Linetype Scale in the Property Editor to do this and to see the result of tweaking the value in 'real time', and that the finished value would then be saved in the Layer for re-use, but this isn't what happens.

Or am I missing something?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Dashed Lines

Post by Husky » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:33 pm

Hi
GrowMate wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 pm
I can't quite work out how to edit and save dashed lines at Layer level so that I can have (for instance) a standard dashed line to depict a fold, and a 'finer' dashed line to depict hidden objects.
QCAD comes with three typ's of dashed lines: Dashed, Dashed .5x and Dashed 2.x. Isn't that enough to show for instance a fold and/or a hidden line?
GrowMate wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 pm
I would expect to adjust the Linetype Scale in the Property Editor to do this and to see the result of tweaking the value in 'real time', and that the finished value would then be saved in the Layer for re-use, but this isn't what happens.
Do you work in "Screen based Linetyp" Mode? (Menu / View ...)

If you change the scale factor for an entity the change will not be stored in a layer. It applies only to the changed entity. To use a customized line typ controlled by a layer you have to create a new linetyp which has then to be stored in the QCAD Program folder linetypes.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

GrowMate

Post by GrowMate » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:11 pm

Ah, thanks. I had kind of fathomed that out. It would be nice to be able to edit and save lines 'on the fly'. Possibly a facility that could usefully added some time in the future?

istj1600
Registered Member

Post by istj1600 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 am

I read these posts and I am sad to say most of it was over my head. My problem is that I am designing a house. Hidden lines appear as solid unless you zoom in on the line. Is there a way to scale the line so a hidden line appears as dashes in a drawing that is 20 feet long?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:17 am

Hi,
istj1600 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 am
Hidden lines appear as solid unless you zoom in on the line. Is there a way to scale the line so a hidden line appears as dashes in a drawing that is 20 feet long?
For the moment, forget the scaling of the lines. Maybe we do not need that.
Please check the line type in the Layer attributes which is used for your hidden lines. Do you use "Dashed .5x"?
Is "Screen based Linetyp" Mode activated below Menu / View?
Is the Line Typ scale still default? It should be 1. You can check that within the Property Editor.

If you can't solve the issue with this given instruction please attach the drawing for further investigation. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

istj1600
Registered Member

Post by istj1600 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:53 pm

Screen based linetype mode did it. Thank you sooo much!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”