Block creation and layers - best practices

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

danbr

Block creation and layers - best practices

Post by danbr » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:24 am

I've had a couple of problems with blocks created inside a drawing, and was wondering if someone has some "best practices" suggestions.
  • If a block is created in a drawing, it appears that the block "definition" is on the layer it was created on. If the created block has entities on multiple layers, the definition retains that information
  • If you hide that layer, all the references to that block are hidden. If the created block has entities on multiple layers and you hide one of them, part of the block disappears from each reference.
  • If you explode one of the references, the resulting items (lines, etc.) are placed on the original layer, not the same layer as the reference
Any suggestions about the best way to manage this would be welcome! For now, I've done:
  • Create all my blocks on layer 0 (which I normally don't use)
  • Explicitly set line types/colors/weights for all the block elements
  • Try to avoid exploding blocks :-)
Thanks!

Dan

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Block creation and layers - best practices

Post by andrew » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:43 am

Please refer also to this tutorial:
https://www.qcad.org/en/tutorial-layers ... attributes

Perhaps, what you are missing is the "By Block" attribute value. Fixed attributes are almost never a good idea.

jimherndon
Newbie Member

Post by jimherndon » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:27 am

I still having trouble with blocks being created on one layer and when inserted using the Block List insert icon on another layer they will show the new layer on the Property Editor but you cannot hide their visibility for the layer they were inserted on. Thank you.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:09 pm

If you insert a block on layer "A" and switch off layer "A", the block references of that block on layer "A" will be hidden.

Please check also your preferences under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Widgets > Layer List

If Show frozen column is checked, you have both visibility and frozen columns enabled in your layer list. In this case, you would have to freeze the layer to achieve the same result.

If you can't solve your problem, please attach your drawing file and include a full screenshot of your QCAD application window.

jimherndon
Newbie Member

Post by jimherndon » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 am

Got it working ***** Thank you Andrew!!!!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”