Increase spacing between letters

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Rocketdc
Newbie Member

Increase spacing between letters

Post by Rocketdc » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Does anyone know how to increase the spacing between letters? I'm cutting out words on a cnc plasma table and the letter spacing is a little too tight.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Increase spacing between letters

Post by Husky » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:14 pm

Hi,
are those words in a straight line or curved like text on a coin? Just a few letters or a bunch of letters...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Rocketdc
Newbie Member

Post by Rocketdc » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:35 pm

Hi, they're in a straight line. It's only a couple words like business names, about 10-12 letters in total. It's basically designing and cutting out business logos.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:03 am

Rocketdc wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:35 pm
Hi, they're in a straight line. It's only a couple words like business names, about 10-12 letters in total. It's basically designing and cutting out business logos.
Thanks for clarification. QCAD is NOT overwhelmingly equipped with text formatting tools like letter spacing etc.. For straight text lines you could "cheat" with additional spaces between the letters but that isn't professional and a trained eye will see it. For curved text lines like text orientated on an arc or circle QCAD provides a tool with spacing. You will find it below Menu / Misc / Draw / Text along entity but that doesn't works at straight lines.

To put myself in your shoes I would use a vector graphics editor like Inkscape (Freeware). A vector graphics editor is built for text formatting purposes like that one you are trying to accomplish! Create / manipulate the text (only the text!) as you need it for your CNC project in Inkscape, save it as R14 dxf, load it / import it into QCAD and finish the rest with QCAD. Piece of cake ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Rocketdc
Newbie Member

Post by Rocketdc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:40 am

Perfect, Inkscape also came loaded on the computer with the machine and I just started to experiment with it today. Thanks for your help!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”