Print layouts and blocks

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

rob_g

Print layouts and blocks

Post by rob_g » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi Gents
I have been using QCAD Pro for several years.
I have successfully made many parts with the drawings done on this software and find it so easy to use for my basic drawings.

I am really struggling however with doing proper print layouts and blocks. (I have even drawn them on afterwards with my old drawing board, but I am running out of that option as I travel more. I need to print in A2, A3 and A4

I use Mac osx. currently having just bought the latest version of QCAD Pro, 3.26.4

I have watched numerous videos, and still can not get my head around it.

Any help most appreciated. I have attached a basic SLD drawing, if any one could really hold my hand through this, would be most appreciated.
many thanks.
P&ID 2 diver peli.dxf
(143.68 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Print layouts and blocks

Post by Husky » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:20 pm

Hello rob_g - welcome to the QCAD forum.
rob_g wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:40 pm
I am really struggling however with doing proper print layouts and blocks. (I have even drawn them on afterwards with my old drawing board, but I am running out of that option as I travel more. I need to print in A2, A3 and A4
Have you noticed this tutorial and can it help you to accomplish your print task?

https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... -viewports

If not please elaborate exactly what you like to accomplish in that print job and I'm sure we can solve the issue together ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

rob_g

Post by rob_g » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:55 pm

Many thanks for that.
I had not, maybe could not see the trees for the forrest.
Will go through and get back with (probably many) questions :)

rob_g

Post by rob_g » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:07 pm

My drawing has the block list 'model' this is shown as I drew it, at 1:1 scale.
It also has the other blocks I used (from the library) also shown at 1:1 scale
The block 'Layout, *paper Source), is actually sized as per the default A4 print paper size, but has no drawing on it.

How do I add that drawing to it.

Do I start off and draw a template / layout for print as I would any other drawing, (or find one)
if so, how do I set that as the paper space and will Qcad use those for other drawings.

Apologies for what's probably fairly straight forward. (I've probably overloaded my head)

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:52 am

rob_g wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:07 pm
How do I add that drawing to it.
In Model_Space: Create a Viewport below Menu / Draw / Viewport / Add Viewport
After creating a new Viewport QCAD will jump for placement to Paper_Space if only ONE Paper_Space exist. If you have more then one QCAD will ask you which has to be used.

To create more than one Paper_Space you can do that below: Menu / Block / Add Layout Block
rob_g wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:07 pm
Do I start off and draw a template / layout for print as I would any other drawing, (or find one)
if so, how do I set that as the paper space and will Qcad use those for other drawings.
I would recommend to design a template (what is a normal dxf drawing) which will then be used by QCAD for new drawings. This Template should have all Basic Layers, Layout Blocks (Paper_Space) for every possible print situation, like Landscape / Portrait. Border, Title Block etc are placed in Paper_Space - all 1:1.

It should look similar to this:

All Basic Layer / Blocks which I normally use ...

Husky-2021.10.31-07.png
Husky-2021.10.31-07.png (160.05 KiB) Viewed 7577 times
... one Paper_Space for Portrait ...

Husky-2021.10.31-08.png
Husky-2021.10.31-08.png (192.89 KiB) Viewed 7577 times
... and one for Landscape.

Husky-2021.10.31-09.png
Husky-2021.10.31-09.png (197.91 KiB) Viewed 7577 times

Tip:
Here you will find Imperial and Metric examples - maybe it can help to design your own template :wink:

https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewforum.php?f=51

When you are ready to go I will help you where to save etc. this new template.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

rob_g

Post by rob_g » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi

I have now added a new block called 'A3 Landscape.
There is a very basic border, with a basic 'header'

So, I can now see this 'paper space'
Next, I believe I need to add the viewport to this block, so that qcad knows where to put the drawing...
Is this correct so far.

please correct me if my terminology is wrong.
Attachments
P&ID 2 diver peli.dxf
(146.12 KiB) Downloaded 328 times

rob_g

Post by rob_g » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:49 pm

It looks like now, when I print, I have got the border from the viewport window around the areas selected, so that bit is fine.
It also does not change the overall size of the viewport, if I print on A3 or A4, so the printer is not adding any ratio to it.
Just need to put the final blocks in to it now, which is maybe where I am stuck.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:24 pm

You are getting closer ... :wink:

What I did with your example drawing:

I changed the block name "Template A3 Landscape" to "Border",
I changed the Layout Block name "Layout1" to "Template A3 Landscape",
I inserted the Block "Border" into the Layout Block "Template A3 Landscape".

Now you can create the Viewport (with what ever scale you need) and place it on the Layout Block.

Try it ...
P&ID 2 diver peli_mod.dxf
(145.78 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

rob_g

Post by rob_g » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:27 pm

So, the new 'Template A3 Landscape' .. is purely the piece of paper size. With a 10mm allowance for the paper margins already built in to it.
Ok, so that above, also has (*paper_Space) after it. Does that (Label) differentiate it from any other block within Qcad, or is just the same as any other 'block list/add new block'

The new 'border'.. is now, actually the border/info box. Just to clarify, this just... block list/add new block. ???
So, essentially I could add as many blocks as needed and make them visible/invisible as required. (and possibly the same for the paper space...

Then, draw/viewport....

trying to get the mechanics of it in my head, rather than just blindly follow.

rob_g

Post by rob_g » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:36 pm

so, that works. :)
Still not quite sure what/how.
but I can at least start to get my head around it.
Printing that out on an a4 printer, it came at 69% to fill the page, so its sized for A3 as we drew it.

ok. questions.....

In the same drawings, I am guessing its easier to have base templates for printing to start with, and then get stuck in to the actual drawing, rather than the other way round. (easy enough to copy/paste to another 'model_space' with the correct paper size later.
Can we add additional paper sizes, or do we need to know that before we start drawing on the 'Model_space, and pick our template to suit.

thanks very much for the help.
I may have to start using forums more often again.

rob_g

Post by rob_g » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:50 pm

Just found, that if I right click on the 'block list' it gives me an option of, 'add empty block' or 'add layout block'

Am assuming that the 'add layout block' is the blank sheet paper size.

so, essentially, if I have this right in my head, I can make any dxf file, and save it as 'A3 portrait' or similar, I can use that as a template for all my A3 printing needs.

Apologies, its late and been a long day. head fried. :shock:

Also, think I have just worked out how you 'inserted block'
which has been the bit I think I have struggled to find.

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:51 am

rob_g wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:50 pm
Just found, that if I right click on the 'block list' it gives me an option of, 'add empty block' or 'add layout block'

Am assuming that the 'add layout block' is the blank sheet paper size.
Correct.

rob_g wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:50 pm
so, essentially, if I have this right in my head, I can make any dxf file, and save it as 'A3 portrait' or similar, I can use that as a template for all my A3 printing needs.
Correct. Save it below your QCAD folder in ..\qcad-3.26....\libraries\templates what makes it available in the QCAD Menu below File / New from Template. On that way QCAD will use that Template to copy it for new drawings. The original Template stays untouched ...

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:17 am

rob_g wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:36 pm

Can we add additional paper sizes, or do we need to know that before we start drawing on the 'Model_space, and pick our template to suit.

You can have multiple paper sizes in your file. If you are previewing a particular layout block (paper space), you can choose Edit>Drawing Preferences and in here you can select the size and number of pages, and other properties of that specific layout, separate from the other layout blocks you may have in your drawing file. While it may be possible to use the same title block/border/template with different size papers by using the scale options, the changes in aspect ratio between different paper sizes mean it would be best to create a different title block/border/template for each paper size. For instance, I have some drawings where I have both a letter and an ARCH C title block that I can use as needed. You can take the time up front to create one for each size paper you think you'll need and you can have them in separate template files or all in the same one and use one or more of them as each project requires.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:45 am

rob_g wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:27 pm

So, essentially I could add as many blocks as needed and make them visible/invisible as required. (and possibly the same for the paper space...

Then, draw/viewport....
You can add any and as many blocks as you want into a layout block/paper space. You can also add as many viewports into a layout block/paper space as you want. You can also draw shapes, text, or dimensions directly inside the layout block/paper space.

The most common workflow for most people would be to have a block that they create for their title block/border. They would insert that block into their paper space. Next, they would use one or more viewports to add a part or all of their drawing they have created in model space into view on their paper. Some people create notes and dimensions in model space and therefore that stuff is brought into the paper space via the viewport. Other people add those things after the fact directly in the paper space. You can experiment with what works best for you based on your situation. I'm still figuring out what works best for me in some cases. :D

rob_g

Post by rob_g » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi gents

just have to say, many thanks for the help. it has been invaluable in getting me to the right place.
Also, by gentle nudges, instead of just 'do this', forced me to actually sit down and understand it.
It is very much appreciated.

top tip for anyone in my predicament, is also read, read, and understand the blocks. I did not fully understand their workings.

'cant find the big thumbs up smiley'

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”