QCAD Keeps Crashing

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

mknight3120
Registered Member

QCAD Keeps Crashing

Post by mknight3120 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:19 am

Hi QCAD Users,
New to the forum, and have been really enjoying using Qcad, but i seem to be coming up with the same issue.
I’m relatively new to CAD, so go easy on me!

I’ve been drawing arrangements with a mixture of splines, lines and circles. on average, approx. 25-40 lines per arrangements.

When copying and pasting into a new drawing, to nest multiple arrangements, once i paste the second or 3rd time, QCAD will freeze, and not respond.

Should i be compressing the arrangements before copying?

I am running version 3.9.8.0 (3.9.8)

Any help would be much appreciated

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: QCAD Keeps Crashing

Post by Husky » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:56 am

Hello mknight3120 - welcome to the forum,
mknight3120 wrote:... I’ve been drawing arrangements with a mixture of splines, lines and circles. on average, approx. 25-40 lines per arrangements.

When copying and pasting into a new drawing, to nest multiple arrangements, once i paste the second or 3rd time, QCAD will freeze, and not respond.
That should not be a problem! I just tested this task with my 3.9.8 version on an slow Windows PC - many copies (mix of splines, lines and circles) and everything works just as expected.

Could you attach a test drawing which isn't working for you? Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

mknight3120
Registered Member

Post by mknight3120 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:23 am

Thanks for the response Husky.

Ive attached a file that is typical of what im trying to copy and paste multiple times.

Thanks heaps
Attachments
moto.dxf
(150.76 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:17 am

Hi mknight3120,

thanks for the example - now I'm able to reproduce the problem on my PC too.

My best guess is that your PC looks like frozen - but he is still busy to handle this drawing. The drawing is build with splines and polylines. You may think that is nothing but if you break down the splines and polylines you will see that this drawing contains at least a couple 100 thousand if not even a couple million short lines. Your Computer Processor has a lot to calculate for so many lines and that takes time ...

I recommend for drawings like this one to use, where ever you can, the standard drawing tolls like line (for straight long lines), arcs and circles instead of splines. It is much easier for QCAD to handle this type of entity and then you should be able to arrange any kind of nesting without problems.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

jvalencia

Post by jvalencia » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Also, if you expect to work with these sort of drawings, my recommendation is to upgrade your RAM and CPU.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”